Aromatherapy for Anxiety – How Does It Work?

Aromatherapy for anxiety. How does it work? Is it real? That’s what I will be talking about today.

Aromatherapy is the practice of using essential oils to treat illnesses or reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. Essential oils are taken from plant. And you can use many part of the plants including the flowers, leaves, stalks, bark, rind, or roots. The oils are mixed with another substance such as a base oil, alcohol, or even lotion and then applied to the skin, sprayed in the air, or inhaled. You can also put it into a diffuser without mixing it with another oil and inhale it in the room. Many massage therapist will use it as part of a therapeutic massage.

Here are some popular essential oils that are used to promote relaxation
lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
sandalwood (Santalum album)
orange blossom (Citrus sinensis)
lemon balm (Citrus limon)
rose (Rosa damascena),
jasmine
Clary sage (Salvia sclarea)
Roman chamomile (Anthemis nobilis)
Rose-scented geranium (Pelargonium spp.)
bergamot (Citrus aurantium)

For more information on Anxiety disorders https://goo.gl/nv5JHJ

References
Goel N; Kim H; Lao RP. An olfactory stimulus modifies nighttime sleep in young men and women.
Chronobiol Int. 2005; 22(5):889-904 (Wesleyan article referenced in the video)

Komiya, Migiwa; Takeuchi, Takashi; Harada, Etsumori (2006). “Lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect via modulating the 5-HT and DA activities in mice”. Behavioural Brain Research 172 (2): 240–9.

Kiecolt-Glaser, Janice K.; Graham, Jennifer E.; Malarkey, William B.; Porter, Kyle; Lemeshow, Stanley; Glaser, Ronald (2008). “Olfactory influences on mood and autonomic, endocrine, and immune function”. Psychoneuroendocrinology 33 (3): 328–39.

Herz RS. Aromatherapy facts and fictions: a scientific analysis of olfactory effects on mood, physiology and behavior. Int J Neurosci. 2009;119(2):263-90.

Disclaimer: All of the information on this channel is for educational purposes and not intended to be specific/personal medical advice from me to you. Watching the videos or getting answers to comments/question, does not establish a doctor-patient relationship. If you have your own doctor, perhaps these videos can help prepare you for your discussion with your doctor.

I upload every Wednesday at 9am, and sometimes have extra videos in between. Subscribe to my channel so you don’t miss a video https://goo.gl/DFfT33

1. Aaron Bains on August 19, 2020 at 10:24 pm

I know where that exit is when you explained eating something lol

2. Christine Frank on August 19, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Peppermint oil is also a great topical treatment for headaches.

3. Dilmahi Madahar on August 19, 2020 at 10:26 pm

Awesome

4. Sandra Gatete on August 19, 2020 at 10:28 pm

how long does the effect of Aromatherapy last you? (for example, you used your aromatherapy diffuser in the morning to boost your mood, is it going to last you throughout the day, possibly at work?)

5. Caro c on August 19, 2020 at 10:31 pm

This was really helpful! Got a new subscriber!

6. Broken Tulip on August 19, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Chlorine smell from a pool takes me so back and comforts me. So does gasoline. But..I can’t inhale those. Is there something close to it?

7. Silvia Fedosejevs on August 19, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Yep it helps me

8. Gary Legall on August 19, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Hi Dr. Tracey can you wean off klonopin with xanax

9. Benny Dejesus on August 19, 2020 at 10:40 pm

I’ve been taking Klonopin for about 20 years and I had a serious side effects and panic attacks and how to wind up in the hospital what can I do as a serious can it kill me

10. Cameron Pittman on August 19, 2020 at 10:41 pm

if i order a essential oil vape on amazon do i have to sign at the door?

11. Dea Pat on August 19, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Does vanilla essence work?

12. Angharad Owen on August 19, 2020 at 10:41 pm

I have an aromatherapy bracelet. It has been a life saver! If I am feeling anxious at all I will bring the bracelet closer to inhale the scent and it’s very relaxing. I add ylang ylang oil OR lavender oil. I am yet to true the others you have mentioned but I look forward to it.

13. Hyginus C. onyejekwe on August 19, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Can chamomile diffuser cause panic attack? I noticed uncontrollable panic attack with chamomile put in a diffuser, I don’t know if it was mixed wrongly from the manufacturer or what?

14. LuCasley 20 on August 19, 2020 at 10:43 pm

I used to teach adult learners and I am convinced aromatherapy in the classroom provided a more conducive environment for learning.

15. Ian Kincheloe on August 19, 2020 at 10:43 pm

my sister had told me to get a diffuser for my anxiety for work , and after also seeing this video im really gonna buy it for work and home. Im so happy these kinds of videos exist they really help me relieve some of my anxiety Thank you so much for what you do.

16. S. Jaye on August 19, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Could someone use activating oils for depression?

17. Komal Sharma on August 19, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Hlo mam… I can’t sleep due to stress..i ordered clary sage… Will it work… Plz reply it’s urgent ma’am

18. Christian's Grandma on August 19, 2020 at 10:54 pm

Can I used it for my family member with dementia?

19. আবিদ হাছান on August 19, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Soyabean work

20. Galliano Marr on August 19, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Can Aroma therapy be a valuable factor for treating anxiety? I do psychotherapy and take magnesium and b-vitamins and stuff and I considered using aromatherapy, but maybe it is just a little thing that is convienent but has no strong impact?

21. perceneij on August 19, 2020 at 10:58 pm

Hi thanks for addressing this topic that liaise with natural medicine! My question is, for how long are you suppose to sniff for the essential oil to have a real solid effect?

22. Vasanti Punchoo on August 19, 2020 at 10:58 pm

I’m very sensitive to some smells that indeed wire my otherwise unwired brain. One exemple is the coffee smell though I can’t drink it anymore. I’m glad to learn scientifically how indeed aromatherapy works.
    I’d like to ask another question. I’ve been into long years and years of anxiety and depression and gut psychosomatic disorders. Ibs. Without my medications tegretol and Paxetas my gut brain and everything Wd go out of order. Is there any hope or any way to do away with the medications one day. I’m sixty and have been on medication for about eleven years. I d like to improve my concentration on reading memorising. Im a literature teacher but had to take a very early retirement from college but work at another pace home. Still it’s a battle as I can have to wait for hours before I can read and concentrate on a paragraph but at others I finally manage.

23. Amna Habib on August 19, 2020 at 10:58 pm

Can we use these oils by dropping into water and spray in home?

24. JnM on August 19, 2020 at 10:59 pm

I’m trying this to help me relax mediate and sleep .

25. Homero on August 19, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Thank you for such an informative and encouraging video.

26. Sunny C. on August 19, 2020 at 11:00 pm

This explanation makes perfect sense however I am wondering how come Western/modern medicine does not believe in Aroma therapy? Every doctor I spoke to said there is no medical evidence or research that has actually proved that aroma therapy works. Even though I’ve tried it myself numerous times and it’s been proven to offer an anxiety relief for me. I am still confused why wouldn’t regular doctor support an idea of Aroma therapy?

27. Michelle Hogarth on August 19, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Great video! Super detailed explanation that really makes sense of it all.

28. Gwen Smith on August 19, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Will this lower blood pressure too low when on meds. Doctors can’t answer this

29. Skip The Drive on August 19, 2020 at 11:02 pm

It’s great to get a scientific explanation from somebody with the credentials to back it up. Thanks for the breakdown, Dr. Marks! I always thought there was something to this, as I’ve noticed in the past that certain smells (i.e food, perfume), brings up emotions and/or memories).

Going to Whole Foods now 🙂

30. Maxine Hussy on August 19, 2020 at 11:02 pm

You’re brilliant

31. The Aromaspecialist on August 19, 2020 at 11:03 pm

This is very well done im excited to share with my coaching group. Thank you!

32. Sheila Turner on August 19, 2020 at 11:04 pm

So which is better for calmness &/or anxiety, lavender or eucalyptus??

33. Bugnya Blasta on August 19, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Your Excellent… i can binge on your video posts…. Thanks!

34. take7steps on August 19, 2020 at 11:06 pm

I’m interested to know why you didn’t mention the relationship between lavender and tea tree oil as breast development in boys. I would like to see the risks as well as benefits in videos by a doctor because nothing is risk free.

35. D D on August 19, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Orange blossom is my favourite but so expensive

36. Blast on August 19, 2020 at 11:09 pm

If u wanna REALLY cure your anxiety then you gotta learn how to be zen and use willpower.

37. Erik Larson on August 19, 2020 at 11:12 pm

Witches, pagans, and other nature worshipping groups have been making and using essential oils since the beginning of time. Besides for medicine, they used essential oils by themselves or mixed with other ingredients as a potion because they believed they were achieving dark powers through them. If you are going to use essential oils be very careful about which company to buy from. There are essential oil companies that are pro-Satan and pro-Wicca and they actually cast spells on their batches of oil so that when you burn the oil, spirits and the spells are enabled.

38. Simply Jenn on August 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm

I love your channel..can u do a video on anxiety and breathing sometimes I feel like I’m not getting enough air tfs

39. Hannah Chandler on August 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm

This video is incredible. Thank you!!

40. Soriah’s ASMR Tingle Wonderland on August 19, 2020 at 11:14 pm

I inhale Rosemary and Frankensence essential oils. I love them both. Rosemary is especially effective for me.

41. Silvia Fedosejevs on August 19, 2020 at 11:15 pm

For many many years I would not ever start the day with lavender on a cotton wool piece and put into my bra it was a must or i didn’t feel right

42. Hannah Chandler on August 19, 2020 at 11:17 pm

This video is incredible. Thank you!!

43. Shawn Larosa on August 19, 2020 at 11:19 pm

I’m having a problem with extreme anxiety a lot of it’s caused by health problems sometimes I say the wrong thing I don’t know what to do you don’t want to offend anybody

44. Anni Collan on August 19, 2020 at 11:21 pm

..If you’re a Star Trek fan.. :–)

45. Lawrence Njawe on August 19, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Amazing: Detailed, easy to understand and with references to cap it off. Thank you very much…..

46. minister jap on August 19, 2020 at 11:22 pm