Ask Dr. P – Essential Oil Chemistry Class Jan 24, 2016

This is the very first installment of the “Ask Dr. P” live video classes that include questions submitted from followers of the Essential Oil University Facebook page (www.facebook.com/EssentialOilUniversity) from all over the world.

Questions in this episode include:

1. Heather Nielsen – Are there any oils that are similar in chemical composition to steroids? Prednisone for instance?

2. Marianne Ek – How important is it for oils to be sourced from plants that are nurtured in their native environment? It seems to me it would make a difference, but does it really enhance the chemistry to have, for example, lavender from France, rather than another random location.

3. Lori Schuster – There is so much controversy over ingestion of essential oils. And with all of the hype out there, how is one to know what is a safe practice? And with that question comes another, What is the difference between an essential oil and the oils (the supposed food safe, natural oils, not the artificial flavorings) sold in supermarkets for flavoring?

4. Kathy Gentil – Can you explain the chemotype/constituent differences between plant “extracts” verses their counterpart as a steam distilled essential oil? For instance, is the chemotype for a plant extract similar to its essential oil, and if not, what are the major differences, and how does the “extraction” process create a different chemotype than steam distillation?

5. PJ Hanks – What are the three most exciting things you’ve learned in your research of essential oil chemistry the last year and how has it affected your knowledge of how essential oils work chemically?

6. Abbi Taves – When learning about essential oil chemistry, what are the most important aspects that should be learned first to build a solid primer/foundation to further master the field of study?

7. Simone Reitberger – What /if any is the difference in chemical constituents between steam distilled and cold press for citrus oils ?

8. Rhonda VanTuyl – In your opinion what is the future of essential oils at the rate that we are using them? Popularity of oils is increasing and new companies are popping up every day. At this rate of usage can the industry be sustained ?

9. Brooke Verdrager – How is it that the chemistry of a trees trunk is different than the leaves? I.e. thuja plicata. There’s concern about Thuga, but it is my understanding that there’s specific parts of the tree that are more toxic than others. Those are the parts that protect the tree in its environment, toxic for consumption, but yet what is distilled isn’t toxic.

10. Marla Jaworski-wilson – Being a everyday user, could our body’s get immune to the compounds in the oils, and not be as effective as the first time of use over time?

1. AlixandraSun on February 9, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Thank you for your insights and debunking so many myths. It’s so great to have a real scientist providing data and evidence as well as the GCMS to the industry.

2. Robert Pappas on February 9, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Please note that when I was talking about the basic steroid structure I said 5 rings but meant to say 4 rings. I drew the structure correctly just had a brain fart and said 5 instead of 4.

3. Stephanie Cimino on February 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Fantastic! Thank you thank you thank you!

4. Krysten Chambers on February 9, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Im super excited to get some Boswelic acid powder. I have the Aquamarine frankincense. I also have my own Damiana herbs. Such great information. I can’t wait till the new stove top distillation kit is ready.

5. Gdaiva1 on February 9, 2021 at 9:50 pm

wow, awesome! I dont usually like chemistry, im so glad i looked at this video! So interesting, and i cant wait for boswelia powder and damiana oil!

6. Kerri Lydell on February 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

will we be able to purchase damiana by itself soon and where ? I believe it is in one of doterras blends but would like to know if it can be purchased by itself. thank you!

7. ZePaul Thomas on February 9, 2021 at 9:59 pm

do you have Echinacea, Im trying to reverse Cerebral Palsy and it increases blood circulation in the brain

8. Carolee Pilat on February 9, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Very excited to see your video on making your own hydrosol!

9. Pamela Sierzan on February 9, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Where can I buy the Damiana Essential Oil?

10. Jackie Paishon on February 9, 2021 at 10:15 pm

What a beautiful mind you have Dr. Pappas, thank you so much for being the kind of person you are to willing share knowledge with the world. God bless

11. Krysten Chambers on February 9, 2021 at 10:19 pm

12. Mother Nature Prescriptives on February 9, 2021 at 10:22 pm

This is Fantastic. Thank you for doing this, Dr. P.

13. Emily Henderson on February 9, 2021 at 10:23 pm

What again is the name of the oil that you’re working on? Damiano? Domiano? Thanks so much!