These flavorful zucchini latkes make a wonderful side dish or an appetizer. You can serve them for breakfast or make a delicious veggie burger.
All ingredients in this recipe are world’s healthiest foods. Zucchini latkes are easy to digest, low in carbs, rich in fiber, protein and vitamin C. They have tons of immune boosting nutrients from onion and garlic. They are very easy to make, healthy and simply delicious.
This recipe will make 10-12 palm size latkes.
The main key is to extract as much liquid from zucchini as possible, so we will not end up with very thin or soggy latkes.
1.5 -2 lbs. fresh zucchini (about 3 medium size)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 small shallots, finely chopped (½ cup)
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
2 large eggs
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup fresh dill, chopped
½ tsp. black pepper
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
1. Coarsely shred zucchini. Add 1 tsp. kosher salt, mix and let it rest for 20-30 min. This will help to separate water from zucchini.
2. Use a strainer or cheese cloth to squeeze out as much water as possible from zucchini.
3. In a big bowl put together zucchini, yellow onion, shallots, garlic, eggs, whole wheat flour, dill, black pepper and ½ tsp. kosher salt.
4. Mix all ingredients until well combined and let it rest for 10-15 min
5. Add ½ cup grapeseed or olive oil to 12” nonstick skillet. Heat on high for 2-3 min and reduce to medium-low.
6. Drop spoon full of the zucchini mix in the oil and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Flip a couple times to make sure they fully cooked inside.
7. Transfer latkes on the cookie sheet line up with paper towels to absorb as much extra fat as possible.
8. Serve zucchini latkes warm or room temperature. Garnish with chopped parsley.
9. For extra flavor, mix 1 tbsp. olive oil mayo, 2 tbsp. sour cream and 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice. Spread the sauce on latkes before serving or serve on the side.
Eat healthy and have fun cooking!