Candle Basics 101: Essential Oils in candles and why they may not perform well

We talk all about essential oils and why they may not be the best option for scenting your candles.
You can however use them and we also explain how to get the best scent throw from them.

If you have any questions please leave a comment or feel free to contact me at anytime. I am more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Snapchat: Jeff.Standley
Instsgram.com/standleyhandcrafted
www.standleyhandcrafted.com

1. Bella on July 2, 2021 at 8:05 pm

I’m just worried about how not good for you fragrance oils are. It’s also the reason I’m using no dyes and making sure to not get wicks with led.

2. Angela Jackson on July 2, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Is it safe to combine both oils? I am a beginner and my focus is generally on healing and rejuvenation.

3. Lily Star on July 2, 2021 at 8:08 pm

so you mean we have to put the fragrance oils in low heat? please answer, this is really important, thx❣️

4. lehcar19991 on July 2, 2021 at 8:11 pm

How do you measure essential oil with wax, is there a formula. I have
    .33oz bottles)samples

5. Antarrius on July 2, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Is it possible to use both fragrance oil and essential oils for candle making or should I just stick to fragrance oil instead and do you have a video in how to get the best fragrance throw from your candles? Thanks! Love your page btw

6. Jen B on July 2, 2021 at 8:16 pm

What is the BEST wax for scent throw? I thought soy but upon reading one of your responses below- maybe not?? Thank you.

7. Abdulazeez Shukrah on July 2, 2021 at 8:17 pm

HI I JUST STARTED MY GEL CANDLE BUSINESS BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING WEAK HOT THROW, HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT TO ADD MY ESSENTIAL OIL TO THE MELTED GEL WAX . YOUR RESPOND WILL BE APPRECIATED.

8. Noha Omer on July 2, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Can we blend essential oils with fragrance oils to make soy wax candles ?

9. Joyfull on July 2, 2021 at 8:22 pm

I’m rather new at candle making and I didn’t know there was a difference in oils. Very good to know!

10. The Beautiful Balance on July 2, 2021 at 8:24 pm

My question would be, do I need to heat up my soy wax to 185F then let it cool to 120 f to add essential oil or can I add when it hits 120f without it getting to 185F or does that affect the bonding of wax and oil

11. My work Channel on July 2, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Many thanks, I’ve been looking for "what kind of oil do you use to make candles?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Panlijah Inconceivable Position – (search on google ) ? It is an awesome exclusive guide for discovering how to become a candle making master and turn a profit minus the headache. Ive heard some awesome things about it and my mate got amazing results with it.

12. Where You Been Syn on July 2, 2021 at 8:25 pm

How much EO should be used per pound?

13. Denise Abbott on July 2, 2021 at 8:26 pm

I made a ton of essential oil candles and I didn’t know about Temps. Uughh so upset the money that was spent. My question is..do you think once they are being used my family and friends will still get some sent out of them or a hint of sent. I put 30 to 40 drops in each candle..Rrrr I made 20+ candles not knowing I should have bought fragrance oils. So bummed out…HELPPP!!!

14. Ingrid Bolaño on July 2, 2021 at 8:26 pm

it breaks down and takes longer to dry??

15. Karia Brooks on July 2, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Fragrance oils give me a headache. I hope I can make my essential oil candles work!

16. Michelle Mateta on July 2, 2021 at 8:29 pm

is it better to use essential oils for massage candles?

17. The Beautiful Balance on July 2, 2021 at 8:29 pm

This was so helpful! I was so bummed when my candles smelled amazing until I burned them and could barely smell them. I was adding the oils at 185F lol

18. Samantha Hardy on July 2, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Can you use fragrance oils using Crisco instead of wax?

19. Beatriz Nieto on July 2, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Do you use the same amount of EO’s vs fragrance oils?

20. Alejandra Briones on July 2, 2021 at 8:34 pm

What essential oils do you use?

21. primula baggins on July 2, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Hi! I do have a question 🙂 My candles come out clear-ish and not beautiful opaque white like yours. I don’t use soy wax, could that be the reason? (Plus there’s no stearin in my wax) I want that clean white look and I never get it 🙁

22. The Haircut Book on July 2, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Am I correct to say the CS FO are essential oil based FO’s? I had a cold air diffuser I’d like to try adding my own FO into. The diffuser company uses FO based essential oils (from what I hear) if that makes any sense at all. TYIA

23. Luisa Vigilante on July 2, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Hi there, I’m in Australia and there’s a huge debate about EO’s in candles. I’m currently doing my own testing so don’t have a justified comment just yet. Love to see another video focused just on EO’s and how they are safe if added to soy wax at the right temperature. Your content is great and super helpful & it’s appreciated!

24. Angelina Bell on July 2, 2021 at 8:39 pm

Do you have a formula or % for using EO rather than fragrance oils? Should i still be using the 10% fragrance load? Or Less? Or more?

25. shiela paruli on July 2, 2021 at 8:43 pm

Ive been trying to get a good ht with peppermint oil, tried it on its own and also blending with other scents but it still smells a bit off like burnt.. what could be the reason? Tia Standley

26. Pyper Hoffman on July 2, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Is there any reason I can’t use fragrance oils and essential oils together? because of the cost…say a couple drops of essential oils then the normal amount of fragrance oil?

27. alsk Laiz on July 2, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Can I use vaporize oil for candle making ?

28. IOANNA-DIMITRA EVANGELOPOULOU on July 2, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Is there any key for candles to have a strong scent without burning? for decorative candles

29. Nichelle on July 2, 2021 at 8:47 pm

My body seems to respond negatively to most fragrances so essential oils are the only option for me! Walking by Yankee candle is hell. I wish that we had more fragrance regulations so we knew what the heck they were

30. Samera K on July 2, 2021 at 8:47 pm

My purpose of making candles were to make it as organic as possible. So now that I figured out essential oils aren’t as strong as fragrance oils, What fragrance brand do you recommend?

31. Reshma Gurung on July 2, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Jeff thank you for the information. I’ve been trying my hands at candle making and all your videos are great . Mallory is so sweet.

32. RavenSamone on July 2, 2021 at 8:52 pm

I wish I would have watched this video before I made two candles strictly with essential oils. But now that I have and you’re right they do not give off any scent throw. What can I do with those waxes can I blend fragrances in there so it doesn’t go to waste?

33. Auhsoj Nahc on July 2, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Very good information

34. katerinne peña on July 2, 2021 at 8:56 pm

This was great, thanks, been searching for "best soy candle making tips" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Cenadoelyn Candle Contemplation – (search on google ) ? Ive heard some super things about it and my m8 got amazing results with it.

35. Ashley Arnett on July 2, 2021 at 8:56 pm

What brand fragrance oils would you recommend?

36. Priyanka Mahadevan on July 2, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for the advise…quick one. I have read that the problem with using essential oils in candles is that essential oils are volatile, which also means that they are not as stable as fragrance oils, and when burned in a candle, the essential oil loses it’s aromatherapy properties making it useless for that purpose. Is that right? and if so, how can you make and sell natural candles without essential oils?

37. Deepa Esposito on July 2, 2021 at 8:57 pm

How much essential oil should be added to a candle. % wise please? Thanks

38. BetterBLEEDat on July 2, 2021 at 8:57 pm

@Standleyhandcrafted I think someone asked but could you use a mixture of both essential oils and fragrance oils? Just seeing if that’s even worth trying. New to this so trying to learn what is worth trying. Thanks in advance!

39. mybar on July 2, 2021 at 8:58 pm

This is glorious, I have been researching "how to make scented soy wax candles" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Cenadoelyn Candle Contemplation – (just google it ) ? Ive heard some super things about it and my partner got cool results with it.

40. andrea herran on July 2, 2021 at 8:59 pm

can you mix essential oils and fragrance oils to make a beeswax candle??

41. Siobhan Macintyre on July 2, 2021 at 8:59 pm

What temp do you heat soy wax too and is it degrees Fahrenheit or degrees Celsius you are talking about and do you put the fragrance oil in while its cooling down to 150 and for essential oils what temp do you heat upto before cooling down and adding the oil thanks

42. Danielle Renee on July 2, 2021 at 8:59 pm

When (what temp) should you add the essential oil for beeswax

43. Danielle Renee on July 2, 2021 at 9:00 pm

What about beeswax

44. hani badji on July 2, 2021 at 9:01 pm

This was great, I been tryin to find out about "do you need a thermometer to make candles?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Peyadison Peerless Prestige – (do a search on google ) ? It is a great exclusive product for discovering how to make candles for fun or money without the normal expense. Ive heard some incredible things about it and my co-worker got great success with it.

45. Samantha , on July 2, 2021 at 9:01 pm

The last few videos about this I have seen just say “add oil at a cool temperature” thank you for being specific!!!

46. Roku Kai on July 2, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Hi there I am trying to use infused oils to make a candle but it’s not working.?can you help