Do Essential Oils REALLY Work?

A lot of essential oils like doTerra and Young Living claim to be “therapeutic-grade” or medicinal. YouTubers are using them in diffusers and even food recipes — but here’s why you should be cautious.

Thank you to Jonathan Jarry at McGill University for lending his expertise.

#TRACKBACK #essentialoils

Credits: https://www.buzzfeed.com/bfmp/videos/84646

GET MORE BUZZFEED NEWS

DOWNLOAD THE BUZZFEED APP
For iPhone — http://bzfd.it/2pinEdx
For Android — http://bzfd.it/2n0Pf03

On Twitter — https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews
On Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeednews
On Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/buzzfeednews

SUBSCRIBE TO THE BUZZFEED NEWS NEWSLETTER

1. Dookie Master on December 23, 2020 at 11:18 pm

flu shot is about as good as essential oils. since ive stopped getting the flue shot 4 years ago i have only had one immune response to a virus so far (thats what your experiencing is not the virus killing you its your bodys response which sometimes can kill you.) sooooo…. honestly…… its bullshit. so are hepatisis shots. fake studies.

2. Demetrio Cooper on December 23, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Audrey Rolof be mad

3. Connor Keefe on December 23, 2020 at 11:20 pm

I didn’t realize people were this dim. I need to start selling this shit

4. Vlado S on December 23, 2020 at 11:22 pm

I had a heavy case of psoriasis so I was using essential oils since 2011 since a major wholesale company was located very close to me. For the first 5 years it was painful and a waste of money but I learned a lot as people do from failure. However since they started selling organic essential oils , my psoriasis improved and I believe will be gone soon. So the first lesson is only to use Organic oils and only to buy wholesale.

5. Facts Over Emotions on December 23, 2020 at 11:22 pm

To be 100% honest, my father is in the medical industry and said flu shots are a huge scam, but, the other vaccinations are important for keeping people resistant to horrible diseases that we stomped out with medicine. The flu shot is honestly a steaming pile of lies though, that’s the only one I won’t be putting into myself or my kids.

6. Spiderwick Games on December 23, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Essential oils are not the miracle alternative to modern medicine, a lot of feedback is generally anecdotal but the method of aromatherapy is not something new. I don’t believe in ingesting undiluted oils but diluting them with something like fractionated coconut oil is a much safer way to use them. Using things like the sense of smell it can help certain people to be able to calm down, or to relax, or even settle down a little bit better but it doesn’t mean that it does for everyone. Personally I can see the therapeutic benefits as the smell of different oils has helped alleviate my own anxiety as well as helping with things like a sore throat (e.g. peppermint, eucaluptus, spearmint) to breathe a bit better but I wouldn’t replace medicine with essential oils.

7. Vanity68 on December 23, 2020 at 11:23 pm

They helped me and my epileptic dog. And when my daughter can’t sleep I put revive lavender on her feet. She’s out in five minutes. They work no doubt.

8. ᑎᗩTᕼᗩᑎ ᑎᑌKᗴ on December 23, 2020 at 11:27 pm

I use it to sleep and wake up and works pretty well! Just use the right one for the right time or you may feel sleepy when it’s work time or not sleep until midnight…

9. Wizard of essential oils on December 23, 2020 at 11:27 pm

It works by helping me fall asleep.
    I don’t believe in all the cures e.g alzheimer.
    But if smelling something nice can help me sleep. So why not ? Better than taking sleeping pills

10. Ewa Rambu on December 23, 2020 at 11:33 pm

There is a ton of medical research proving therapeutic and healing properties of essential oils. Try PubMed site.

11. Natural Family Fun on December 23, 2020 at 11:34 pm

Yes they do work. I’ve been using them for 4 years and don’t even need to take my kids to the doctor when they get sick because dōTERRA essential oils make them well with no side effects. They don’t even get sick anymore because we use them all the time. When we first started using them they were sick, but after we started they stopped getting sick. These people have no proof they don’t work. Other brands that are not therapeutic grade cannot be taken internally. We have never had a bad reaction to these oils.

12. Nina Marie on December 23, 2020 at 11:34 pm

This is incredibly biased except for the part where you say “do your research”, I do agree with that

13. 132allie on December 23, 2020 at 11:37 pm

Also make sure that they are not harmful to your pets. Some are.

14. carolyn bennett on December 23, 2020 at 11:38 pm

I don’t believe they are claiming these oils will cure or heal you. They are simply there to aid in the healing process. We all know natural is better, to eat the sage and drink the peppermint is better than topicals . To eat healthy as opposed to taking vitamins is the natural cure but not always available. In a stressful life of on the go improper eating and sleeping causes health issues of a cycle hard to break that becomes habit forming. These oils are not to be taken internally unless stated. I myself can’t handle the diffuser but can use the water on stove method. These oils calm and soothe our nerves and give us an inner peace of happiness. Happiness calms the nerves and is "essential " to overall body health. So if I can be stress free in calming my nerves to become " pain free" and less headaches to soothe and eventually turn around my overall health than that is definitely a " cure" to me. + Have you tried these oils before making a disclaimer. Don’t knock it until you try it. Put peppermint on your wrists and in behind the ears and you become calm and energized . I’m not presently doing oils but will be. Sage tea, bay leaf tea . Herbs and spices and everthing nices.

15. Joseph Murphy on December 23, 2020 at 11:41 pm

totally liking, commenting, and subscribing because of the pun at the end…

16. Gregory Peter Boyce on December 23, 2020 at 11:42 pm

More bullshit essential oils work. Lies

17. M L on December 23, 2020 at 11:44 pm

I have seen them work on a wide spectrum of problems. From sleeplessness, depression, to severe Chron’s, to various forms of cancer (even on terminal cases), to ADHD and the list goes on. Knowing how to use them and that the product you’re holding in your hands is safe to use (i.e. the raw materials were processed while being fresh, without fillers and pesticides) is everything. Stop the big pharma terrorization and accept your oneness with nature.

18. LorrainePiscies on December 23, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Yah, why would the most potent form of plants, flowers or seeds work? Ridiculous. Crazy that people only had these for the past 6,000 years. Muuuch better to use the synthethic and toxic compounds they COPY from these same plants, flowers and seeds then charge you 100 x’s the price for. Thanks, but I’ll stick with my essential oils which cured my strep throat and shingles and also got rid of those ugly cysts on my eye lids. Don’t believe me? Next time you get a cold or flu and are stuffed up, inhale some eucalyptus. A-MAZING.

19. Tony Stark on December 23, 2020 at 11:47 pm

It’s all fraud

20. PoliticallyIncorrect Videos on December 23, 2020 at 11:47 pm

I’m surprised buzzfeed wasn’t advertising essential oils. They’re fake news and all

21. imani062882 on December 23, 2020 at 11:48 pm

Tea tree oil on a cotton ball is the only thing that got rid of my abscess. Clove oil and coconut oil mix killed off my scabies. Depends on what you use them for

22. victor drumond on December 23, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Parece video de industria farmacêutica.. Que bela merda!

23. Stephanie Sivo on December 23, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Some essential oils work for some people. Don’t discredit them like that. I had a family member with MRSA who took home made oral tablets with frankincense in them, and fought off the bacteria in a few days.
    I also have asthma, so I wipe tea tree oil which opens my airways and decreases my wheezing.
    Just speaking from experience, not for everyone.

24. Rita on December 23, 2020 at 11:52 pm

If your not a medical doctor you can not claim its not safe to use

25. Maria Andrea on December 23, 2020 at 11:56 pm

I wouldn’t take any health advice from Lauren S. to be honest. And I really doubt the FDA having a monopoly on health when big pharma pays so much in lobbying to keep us sick and dependant for their quick fixes without adressing our habits like diet, emotions and everything behind. Specially since knowing more about the ban on psychodelic medicine and plant medicine, and who benefits from that. I really recommend the documentary "HEAL". There IS scientific proof, there are higher interests in not making them known. Have you watched Zeitgeist?

26. two bees one flower on December 23, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Thieves blend helped save some robbers from contracting the Bubonic plague…Just fyi.

27. Aiden Macdonald on December 24, 2020 at 12:00 am

this bitch is so annoying i’m never watching another vid with her hosting

28. jaymillymills on December 24, 2020 at 12:00 am

They actually do work for headaches and migraines if you are using the right ones

29. Gregory Peter Boyce on December 24, 2020 at 12:01 am

Big Pharma attack

30. ifyouknow youknow on December 24, 2020 at 12:01 am

Wtf would buzzfeed mofos know about anything healthy? Most look
    Unhealthy af to begin with…
    and Ofcourse they’d say it doesn’t work this is western medicine they wanna give everybody a pill

31. Apathella Rosenblatt on December 24, 2020 at 12:01 am

All I’m going to say is……THEY WORK. I started using them last year when I got a horrible ear infection and didnt have insurance. I was looking for home remedies to sooth the ear ache and came across green tea oil. Ordered it right off Amazon. The pain was soooooo horrible so when I got my shipment…..I didnt think think twice to throw like 30 drops on to a cotton ball and let it sit one th bridge of my ear. Everything kept saying carrier oil but all I was doing wa as scanning the articles and not really reading why. N that taught me a very huge lesson. My ear started burning with in mins of putting the cotton ball in my ear. I ran to the kitchen to put water in my ear……mistake. I used vinegar…..nope. Remembering the carrier oil I grabbed the olive oil and dumped it right into my ear and instantly it stop burning. I was scared to continue using them at first but my ear was still hurting……….I couldn’t turn back but I needed to read about them before continuing. Added a few drops on a cotton ball with oil and sat it in my ear. By the morning my ear infections was sooth. No pain at all. I keep doing this for a few days and the ear infection never came back. From that point I was hooked. I started read into new ways to use them. They are truly great things to have in the home……. BUT YOU MUST RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY. You can get some over priced bull…..trust me I have. Expensive and large quantities doesnt mean better.
    I prefer plant therapy now but that was only because it came with a kit of 6 for like 30 bucks. When I first started I wasnt trying get all into it…..I just wanted to cure my ear ache. Now that I know a little more and have tried other brands……I feel better sticking to the company I started with. I also looked up the website mentioned in the video and they were crazy to think a person would spend hundreds for a few bottles.

32. FITCH OLAIZ on December 24, 2020 at 12:01 am

unsubscribed !! do your research again!

33. Minty on December 24, 2020 at 12:01 am

THEY DONT WORK ENOUGH SAID

34. S.A on December 24, 2020 at 12:02 am

It really just boils down to they are semi helpful for headaches and smell
    But no, karen, they won’t fix cancer.

35. Coko Luxx on December 24, 2020 at 12:04 am

This is an extremely biased video. I am a certified aromatherapist. And I have a medical background. And you are misinformed horribly. The controlled use of essential oils is based on science and chemistry. The oils are volatile which means they can enter your bloodstream through varied methods, and based on the chemical components it will affect your body systems. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No person needs any institutions stamp of approval. When you use an herb or an essential oil if you get results there is your proof. Get out of the matrix. I am tired of people that feel like they have to be told what to believe in. Ugh!

36. dany jj on December 24, 2020 at 12:04 am

is there difference between tea tree and essential oil?

37. sara khamneian on December 24, 2020 at 12:05 am

You’re very wrong. The oils keep me from getting sinus infection. They also help me with mood. Your generalization based on poor research is very biased.

38. Marmalade House on December 24, 2020 at 12:12 am

I don’t consume, but applying peppermint oil at my hairline and temples usually knocks my bad headaches out. I was a skeptic, but it’s been a Godsend!
    (My autistic son also enjoys smelling lavender oil on his wrist as he’s falling asleep.)

39. Asian Twist on December 24, 2020 at 12:15 am

Well, but if people opt for medicinal herbs, not just essential lils, obviously major different effects there will be…. for instance, just figure out now my personal experience , can sleep better if i take just before bedtime, a cup of peppermint tea mixed with a dash of mint dried mint herb, never slept better since 3 yrs ago

40. Ora Et Labora on December 24, 2020 at 12:16 am

Well for me it helps. Long term you can see results. There’s many kinds of blends out there.

41. tony sobon on December 24, 2020 at 12:17 am

My mom is way way way into young living oils and i think a lot of them are a scam on some level i will say the peppermint oil can help with headaches. I’m not saying always and if i have a really bad one i will use a over the counter pain reliver but try the peppermint first since it’s quicker when it works. Also just in case i do rub it on my temples but ALAYS mix it with coconut , olive even regular cooking veggie oil. But

42. Honey Drop Subliminals on December 24, 2020 at 12:17 am