Essential Oils for Mosquitos

I love using essential oils for mosquitos!

In this video, I share how to use 4 essential oils for mosquitos and ticks, so you can prevent bug bites. The essential oils are:

Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana)
Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)
Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii var. motia)
Catnip (Nepeta cataria)

I have to say—this recipe has had a huge impact for me! I LOVE spending time outside and taking walks.

But I also live in the country, and I admit that the bug situation can get too intense for me to handle. Sometimes it even prevents me from talking walks. I would just rather not deal with the number of mosquitos and ticks out there.

This natural lotion blend has helped so much!

Wondering WHY these essential oils for mosquitos and ticks work so well?

I explain why here: https://blog.aromahead.com/natural-bug-spray-essential-oils-nl

Follow the link to get the research and see the full recipe!

*******

Understanding how to use essential oils effectively (and SAFELY) is so important!

It’s why I became an essential oil educator, and why I approach my YouTube channel like a school.

I want to share reliable information and research-based recipes with as many people as possible.

Join me in “class” by clicking the red SUBSCRIBE button below the video. I release new video “lessons” every two weeks, and I always answer questions in the comments.

See you in “class!”

1. Inturi Venkateswarlu on September 8, 2020 at 1:35 am

I would add my comments after using the recipe.I.Venkateswarlu

2. SG T on September 8, 2020 at 1:35 am

Thank you for your video! I have two questions:
    1) Can I use Geranium instead of or in combination with the palmarosa ? Is palmarosa even higher in geraniol?
    2) I don’t have catnip! Have you found a good substitute? Is there another EO that contains the high levels of the nepetalactone isomers?

3. Leela Turek on September 8, 2020 at 1:36 am

I do make this as a spray, will try making it as a lotion. Please can to advise what oils work best for chiggers, TIA

4. JennPipp on September 8, 2020 at 1:36 am

You are truly a lifesaver! Best channel ever

5. Sibel Lacin on September 8, 2020 at 1:36 am

Could I swap catnip with another EO?

6. Shelly Peek on September 8, 2020 at 1:38 am

How much water would you recommend to oils that are used, so that it’s not to diluted

7. Lori Osburn on September 8, 2020 at 1:39 am

thanks so much~~I love to take long walks in the forest and do worry about the bugs!!! I will try this

8. Thernora Camillo on September 8, 2020 at 1:41 am

What can you use instead of palmarosa? Right now it is on back order.

9. waburden on September 8, 2020 at 1:42 am

I’m new to Essential Oils but am committed to educating myself to using them safely. Took one of your masterclasses and am already an ardent fan, Andrea! Love your personal approach and your willingness to share your expertise. One question – In making a bug spray that is safe for clothing can I substitute a hydrosol for the water, in the hope that it provides a more uniform mix – and if so, what would you suggest. Cheers to you from Prince Edward Island, Canada!

10. Braxena Eurasiers on September 8, 2020 at 1:44 am

OK I have to ask, can we sub out Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) for anything else? I cannot stand that fragrance, so no amount will be hidden enough, haha!

11. Jennifer Potts on September 8, 2020 at 1:46 am

Can I use aloe vera gel instead if the cream with this recipe?

12. Lissette Soto on September 8, 2020 at 1:47 am

Thank you for sharing. Is this save for children and infants or should I cut the essential oils in half?

13. elizabete26 on September 8, 2020 at 1:50 am

Could I use Jojoba or other oil instead of lotion?

14. 1MadHatter on September 8, 2020 at 1:51 am

You said you read these. 😉 Thank you for your info and for your positive sweet attitude and that SMILE!! XO <3

15. Shauna Stuber on September 8, 2020 at 1:51 am

Is it ok for your face ? Thank you!

16. Lisa Bailey on September 8, 2020 at 1:51 am

What size bottle would I use for the spray? And thank you for your always informative, useful and uplifting videos!

17. Shawn Vincent on September 8, 2020 at 1:51 am

Why didnt you use citranella?

18. Carolyn Rose on September 8, 2020 at 1:53 am

Lovely video! Thanks for the tip about tapping the bottle, I will definitely use it. I get frustrated when the drops just don’t want to come out.

19. tami lesser on September 8, 2020 at 1:55 am

Thanks for your video… I am a bug magnet and need to do something quick! – I am ordering the oils from AI- and they are out of the lotion!! Help- any other suggestions??- I see I can blend this in a 2 oz bottle with water.. and below you metioned ok to use jojoba- would it be the same 2 oz? or could you suggest another lotion?? thanks for your site and recipes!!

20. Lorrain Cassesso on September 8, 2020 at 1:56 am

Do you have a blend that helps with indoor insects my friend lives in country and get spiders and other types of bugs in summer especially

21. Divine Aroma on September 8, 2020 at 1:56 am

Hi ma’am, wonderful recipe. I have a doubt, please clarify! Do we addict to essential oils and aroma?

22. Michael 58 on September 8, 2020 at 2:00 am

Andrea, thanks for sharing, this is much needed this time of year , and smells very good as well. Great information, atb

23. Jane Fleet on September 8, 2020 at 2:01 am

This is crazy, I was thinking today when I was outside and the black flies were out, I wonder if Andrea from Aromahead had a bug recipe!! Then tonight it popped up! Thanks for sharing. I’ll be making this.

24. Laura Jones on September 8, 2020 at 2:04 am

My son’s fiancé attracts mosquitoes like crazy. They live in Florida. I made this for me but gave it to her. She swears by it. So glad you shared this recipe. I hate all that commercial mosquito sprays. I made my own lotion and it made 8 oz. so I just used 4 times the amount of oils.

25. Mary Ann Smith Kang on September 8, 2020 at 2:04 am

What brand of unscented lotion do you use? Thanks for the great video!!

26. Asewingirl on September 8, 2020 at 2:04 am

Would you recommend this blend for use on dogs. Love all your videos and appreciate the sharing of your knowledge. Thank you

27. Casey Rosemeyer on September 8, 2020 at 2:08 am

Where would you recommend buying palmarosa? Thanks for he great video!

28. SunnehShides on September 8, 2020 at 2:09 am

I’ve used essential oils and they didn’t really work. I used a receopt with Lavender Oil, Peppermint Oil and they still wanted to come. Though I didn’t get bit on exposed areas I got two bites on my knee, right through my pants. I was very surprised they can get through thick jogging pants.

29. Victoria Klitzka on September 8, 2020 at 2:10 am

Where do you get your glass stirring rods?

30. Heather Keenum on September 8, 2020 at 2:15 am

I hate to admit that I substituted every oil in this recipe (because I didn’t have most of them) other than palmarosa and it still works wonders. My husband was amazed that we were able to work out in the garden all day with only reapplying once. Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try the actual recipe.

31. Christie Bullard on September 8, 2020 at 2:22 am

How would you make the spray? I feel like just water wouldn’t be as effective.

32. Chantelle T74 on September 8, 2020 at 2:23 am

Hi Andrea! I have cedarwood and patchouli oils. If I substitute geranium for the palmarosa and omit the catnip, would it still be effective?

33. Nicole Hervieux on September 8, 2020 at 2:29 am

Hi Andrea, thank you so much for this recipe. I just received the essential oils I was missing and I whipped up a batch of your repellent. I noticed that my cats loved the smell, lol, they got all exited with the aroma. I know that catnip is ok for them (at least dry catnip), what about the other oils are they safe for cats?
    I love your videos, and I am always interested in making and trying your blends. Do you have recipes for hysope? It is one of my favourite fragrance, what do you use it for? Keep up the good work and thank you again.

34. Maritza Lopez on September 8, 2020 at 2:29 am

Hi! Can I spray my dog with this?

35. Andrea Czarnecki on September 8, 2020 at 2:32 am

Hi Andrea, can you use citronella in place of catnip? As well can I use any body lotion?