Essential Oils Harmful to Pets?!

Are essential oil diffusers toxic to your pet? Veterinarian Dr. Karen Halligan joins The Doctors to answer this important question.

Subscribe to The Doctors: http://bit.ly/SubscribeTheDrs
Like us on Facebook: http://bit.ly/FacebookTheDoctors
Follow us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/TheDrsTwitter
Follow us on Instagram: http://bit.ly/InstagramTheDoctorsTV
Follow us on Pinterest: http://bit.ly/PinterestTheDrs

About The Doctors:

The Doctors is an Emmy award-winning daytime talk show hosted by ER physician Dr. Travis Stork, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon and OB-GYN Dr. Nita Landry.

The Doctors helps you understand the latest health headlines, such as the ice bucket challenge for ALS and the Ebola outbreak; delivers exclusive interviews with celebrities dealing with health issues, such as Lamar Odom, Teen Mom star Farrah Abraham, reality stars Honey Boo Boo and Mama June, and activist Chaz Bono; brings you debates about health and safety claims from agricultural company Monsanto and celebrities such as Jenny McCarthy; and shows you the latest gross viral videos and explains how you can avoid an emergency situation. The Doctors also features the News in 2:00 digest of the latest celebrity health news and The Doctors’ Prescription for simple steps to get active, combat stress, eat better and live healthier.

Now in its eighth season, The Doctors celebrity guests have included Academy Award Winners Sally Field, Barbra Streisand, Jane Fonda, Marcia Gay Harden, Kathy Bates and Marisa Tomei; reality stars from Teen Mom and The Real Housewives, as well as Kris Jenner, Caitlyn Jenner, Melissa Rivers, Sharon Osbourne, Tim Gunn and Amber Rose; actors Jessica Alba, Christina Applegate, Julie Bowen, Patricia Heaton, Chevy Chase, Kristin Davis, Lou Ferrigno, Harrison Ford, Grace Gealey, Cedric the Entertainer, Valerie Harper, Debra Messing, Chris O’Donnell, Betty White, Linda Gray, Fran Drescher, Emmy Rossum, Roseanne Barr, Valerie Bertinelli, Suzanne Somers; athletes Magic Johnson, Apolo Ohno and Danica Patrick; musicians Tim McGraw, Justin Bieber, Clint Black, LL Cool J, Nick Carter, Kristin Chenoweth, Paula Abdul, Gloria Gaynor, La Toya Jackson, Barry Manilow, Bret Michaels, Gene Simmons and Jordin Sparks; and celebrity chefs Wolfgang Puck, Guy Fieri and Curtis Stone.

1. Jackie Eco on August 19, 2020 at 10:25 pm

After I started using essential oils – NO diffuser – sometimes just a couple drops at the bottom of my shower, my 6 year-old cat started getting MAJOR SEIZURES. I got rid of ALL the essential oils!!!

2. Vanity68 on August 19, 2020 at 10:26 pm

I believe this definitely. Please don’t use any oils with a pet.

3. A Little Birdy on August 19, 2020 at 10:28 pm

Weird. All my dogs get drops of peppermint and lavender AFTER each bath… misleading. If they eat it… could be another story. But mine seem to enjoy it. Just a drop or two on their necks. They are chihuahuas… one of which is only 6 pounds. The others are 8-12 pounds. I have five.

4. Eyeluvsyewnotjustafew on August 19, 2020 at 10:32 pm

Its meant to be misleading because if they told you the facts, every homeopathic doctor in the entire world would be out of business in heart beat. They make millions a year off your lack of knowledge so you keep coming back and continue buying temporary invisible ideological idiodic insurance policies keeping the rich, rich and the poor, poor

5. Nikki Knolla on August 19, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Please do NOT believe everything you see on the doctors. Yes, they have valid points but do your own research. The purity greatly matters and the kind of essential oils you are using.

6. Jen Jayne on August 19, 2020 at 10:35 pm

the ones she said is true

7. Ryan Shelby on August 19, 2020 at 10:40 pm

It’s obvious to me that it’s another scare tactic the bio tech industries have come up with. Big business.

8. Isabella N. on August 19, 2020 at 10:40 pm

I really love essential oils, I have countless amounts of little bottles. However, I keep them all in one drawer away from my cats reach. I keep my diffuser in the living room where my cat hangs out all day and now I feel so terrible that I could have harmed him! I’m definitely moving my diffuser far away from him so my little baby never gets hurt!

9. Ryan Shelby on August 19, 2020 at 10:40 pm

The guy doctor sounds like a little kid. Anyways, it’s important to note that 95% of Oils on the market are not pure. They’re all filled with toxins and heavy medals! Of course our pets are getting sick! Doterra is 100% pure!

10. Shalandria Diggles on August 19, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Use essential oils out of your pharmacy not the candle isle!!!! Always still dilute them with water. I would use them once on a small spot and see what happens.

11. Holidays & Celebrations on August 19, 2020 at 10:44 pm

this was greatly misleading. Greatly!!!!!

12. Charlene XO on August 19, 2020 at 10:45 pm

My cat 20 yrs old got very sick when i used a duffuser to help me sleep. I wish i had known about the dangers. I had to out him to sleep. I m sure with his age he was not able to recover. I wish he was still here with me. I miss him so much

13. Deznie Montoya on August 19, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Hello I ahvea defuse in my bedroom and my dog sleeps in there with me so should I not use peperment and my room is like a side room so it’s not an enclosed area so what should I do to still use it but keep my pet healthy st the same time

14. Emiliano De La cruz on August 19, 2020 at 10:54 pm

Ignorants talk show at the best,just for accomodate space in their channel.

15. A Subject Number on August 19, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Honestly, if you are going to comment defending your essential oils, do the research- for both sides. Science is more credible than superstition and fear mongering.

16. Dee Dee on August 19, 2020 at 11:06 pm

The quality is important. I bet the pets who were affected were exposed to cheap essential oils.

17. Tayla X on August 19, 2020 at 11:09 pm

In Australia stores sell tea tree dog shampoo to get rid of fleas, odour and such, why would stores be selling tea tree products for pets when it would be harmful????

18. robert olson on August 19, 2020 at 11:10 pm

The essential oil room idea can still spread the diffused oils around the house if that room has central air ducts.

19. Ryan Shelby on August 19, 2020 at 11:12 pm

Not once did they mention purity test! If an oil is only 50% what it says it is and 50% synthetic chemicals, that’s not a fair claim. It’s important to note that most oils on the market are not even real. I, and my clients, use 100% pure oils on our pets all the time, for years, and they’ve never gotten sick. They are as healthy as can be.

20. Rhonda Carpenter on August 19, 2020 at 11:15 pm

This is such general and misleading information.

21. Em.dancer12 on August 19, 2020 at 11:16 pm

i hate the smell of tea tree it smells like pool chemicals to me i use lavender or frankenscense

22. Ryan Shelby on August 19, 2020 at 11:20 pm

It’s so sad. A cat drinks their owners lavendar oil and gets sick. But nobody bothers to check its chemical composition. The brand is everything! If the oil is not 100% pure, then you can’t blame the actual oil for your pets demise. Because it wasn’t really lavender oil! If the oil does not pass all purity tests, you can’t blame oil.

23. Adhie Dharma on August 19, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Hmmm so far my pets cat & dog doesn’t have any negative side effects. I never use diffuser, only burner and use only 2 – 3 drops for 5 hours tea candle life. I notice they seems more relaxed & remain calm.

24. xGachaTiger on August 19, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Omg, my mom told me not to do it, but I did. I literally just kicked my kitten out of my room because of this video! 🙁

25. Funny Animals on August 19, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Oh lady please. You should win an award for your acting. Haha sure most are not falling for this line of bull. But yes some oils are not ok for pets and quality counts. But I guess frebreeze and airfreshners with chemicals are ok. Essential oils can help a lot of things….

26. Aka Magic on August 19, 2020 at 11:24 pm

If I have my door shut and don’t let my animals in, is it ok?