Fibromyalgia: How to Manage Chronic Pain

An estimated 4 million Americans are affected by fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition that can be difficult to diagnose and describe.

To raise awareness about this condition, The Doctors welcome Dr. Freda Lewis-Hall, Pfizer’s Senior Medical Advisor, and Vicky who has had chronic pain for over 20 years and when her rheumatologist diagnosed her with fibromyalgia, she says it was “life-changing.”

For resources and information about fibromyalgia, visit http://www.GetHealthyStayHealthy.com, and while you are there, sign up for their monthly newsletter.

*Sponsored Content by Pfizer

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheDoctors
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thedoctors
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thedoctorstv/

About The Doctors:

The Doctors is an Emmy award-winning daytime talk show hosted by ER physician Dr. Travis Stork and co-hosted by plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, along with dermatologist Dr. Sonia Batra, OB-GYN Dr. Nita Landry, and neuropsychologist Dr. Judy Ho.

The Doctors helps you understand the latest health headlines, delivers exclusive interviews with celebrities dealing with health issues, debates and investigates health and safety claims, explains the latest viral videos and how you can avoid emergency situations, and serves up celebrity chefs to share the hottest and healthiest recipes and foods.

1. Aman Dhindsa on May 26, 2021 at 3:33 am

I got this disease. What I have noticed over the years is that it grows if I take alcohol or caffeine. I would notice the pain comes after 2 or days of drinking. Alcohol effects the most.

2. Bibi Sarlie on May 26, 2021 at 3:33 am

I’ve had fibromyalgia for 27 years. Since I was 13 years old. I was undiagnosed for 23 years. I was partly to blame for this because when explaining my symptoms I didn’t do a great job. My body was always sensitive and achy but because it was extremely intense in my hands I didn’t consider the rest of my body to be in pain. I was chronically tense. My facial muscles, shoulders and even toes were always clenched . My worst years were between 13 and 19. I went for every test possible. Nothing was physically wrong with me. Eventually I learned to ignore the pain unless I had an extreme flair up. I also have digestive problems and fatigue. In 2017 I was also diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder. I was given Lamigtrone which not only helped with my Bipolar but improved my digestion and relaxed my tension. It also improved the pain I felt. Most of the flairups I experience now are when I’m experiencing intense stress and emotional problems. My hands are no longer as bad but My lower back is the problem.

3. Michelle Hudson on May 26, 2021 at 3:36 am

I have FM so does my mom.

4. jay's gaming and builds c on May 26, 2021 at 3:37 am

How are you all dealing with the constant exhaustion and pain while at work, while dealing with yhe depression that comes with it

5. IloveDounuts 63 on May 26, 2021 at 3:39 am

Omg thank u. I have it and it does cause lower quality of life. Because of chronic constant pains.

6. Kamila Cabello on May 26, 2021 at 3:41 am

I feel u same problem hier) :

7. Catelyn Cat on May 26, 2021 at 3:41 am

I wanna recommend Dr Madida on YouTube for his specialised herbal service, with his herbal treatment I was able to get rid off my HIV syndrome completely.

8. Missa Spock on May 26, 2021 at 3:43 am

I was diagnosed in June of 2020. Still trying to figure out what works for me. Hugs to everyone that is struggling with this terrible chronic illness.

9. Raleigh Amelia on May 26, 2021 at 3:46 am

I am 19 and I feel like a crippled old woman with this condition. I’m still struggling to deal with the pain and it has prevented me from doing what I love. I have had this pain since I was 13 and my doctors would tell me it was growing pains, but it didn’t feel right. I only just got diagnosed last year after i went to the hospital multiple times and went to many different doctors to figure it out.

10. Melanie Brandt on May 26, 2021 at 3:46 am

I’ve had body ache and pain since 1994. Trauma in my history too. It felt like I was getting the flu but never with any fever or vomiting. Most days I feel like I was hit by a truck. Extreme soreness and body sensitivity. My mom had it and so did my Aunt.

11. MROJsir on May 26, 2021 at 3:46 am

Fibromyalgia, for people who don’t want to work

12. John Eslick on May 26, 2021 at 3:47 am

I think the comments express more what fibromyalgia is really like than what this doctor from Pfizer is saying .
    You never really see the more severe cases on TV . To me this is a fluff piece , plus most people with Fibromyalgia know the approved medications dont really work for the majority of patients.

13. I P on May 26, 2021 at 3:47 am

I’m based in the UK and enduring a lot of stress. I think I have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia as it only mentions widespread pain but not the other linked symptoms. I am sat here victimised abused depressed fatigued trapped isolated diseased failed ugly suicidal angry lost and no medical professionals here are helping and I am sat here unable to function in a house with no social support and a very violent one eyed 60 year old mother . I have no friends, I am unemployed, I have no advantaged, any one please help me

14. N S on May 26, 2021 at 3:49 am

Ive had fibromyalgia for 24 years it’s the worst thing.

15. shahilagh on May 26, 2021 at 3:50 am

No there is no MAy! The pain is caused by gut issues, automatimmunity etc . For many years ppl didn’t know the reasons so they called it fibro . Otherwise the illness is those above causing wide spread pain

16. Shelia on May 26, 2021 at 3:51 am

I’m only 29 and fibromyalgia symptoms have definitely crippled and depressed me. I can’t even get good pain meds because all the doctors in my town think most everyone abuses drugs which isnt true. I got some sort of virus and it triggered the fibro pain, my whole body’s feels like it’s on fire. Idk what else to do

17. Ming Mongo on May 26, 2021 at 3:52 am

This gives NO real advice on managing pain. Don’t bother watching.

18. Stephanie Bogart on May 26, 2021 at 3:54 am

She didn’t mention food at all! I’ve had mine under control for 11 years because of the way I eat and a couple of other things. No drugs .

19. I P on May 26, 2021 at 3:54 am

Invisible hell in every aspect

20. Deborah John on May 26, 2021 at 3:55 am

Its a miracle that I am alive today. I encounter HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV1/2) for good four (4) years, six (6) months and twelve (12) day with my calculations, before I meet the great Dr. Abumere. I am Tina Richard from Fresno California, united state of America and I was affected with herpes virus.Herpes is a viral infection cause by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blister in the skin or mucous membrane or on the genitals. This was what I suffered for good four years. I have visited CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for treatment but no improvement. I meet Dr.Abumere online while I was searching for herpes cure I read a testimony about his work. I give a try that now becomes a testimony in my life. I contacted Dr.Abumere on Email: doctorabumere6@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2349021975055

21. jay's gaming and builds c on May 26, 2021 at 3:56 am

Its not just pain ffs

22. John davidson on May 26, 2021 at 3:57 am

Thanks for the information!!!!!! My grandmother had also fibromyalgia a few years back we were really tensed about her as she was always tired and always felt that she had no energy. we take to many dr. but it was all waste then while scrolling the internet We came to know about the Fibromyalgia care pack of Planet Ayurveda. She used it for 6 months and now she is better and living happily in her life.

23. Brigitte on May 26, 2021 at 3:57 am

Check out Nicole Sach’s "The cure for chronic pain" channel. Get to the root of the problem. Sending love to everyone dealing with chronic pain, we’re warriors!

24. ronnie parker on May 26, 2021 at 3:58 am

Fibromyalgia is a damn if u do and damn if u don’t!!!!! With my exp. that’s how I feel! Bottom line peoples situations are different than others ! You’re screwed !!!!!

25. DMG Soul'togetherness on May 26, 2021 at 3:58 am

I hate this condition

26. Patti London on May 26, 2021 at 4:00 am

I have had fibromyalgia for 35 years, and I raised 2 children and worked a few hours at their school. It causes anxiety due t the pain I experience everyday. Hoping for a cure, but since I turn 71 this year I who knows. Also have IBS, fatigue, back problems, arthritis, and severe insomnia. I pray for people with chronic pain because they suffer every day.

27. Tiffany Nelson on May 26, 2021 at 4:00 am

To everyone reading this:
    –check your vitamin levels and get a complete CBC. My b12 and D were off the charts low. Raising them hasn’t helped my energy or symptoms.
    –Rule out M.S. with a brain AND full spine MRI.
    –check for Lyme. Mine was negative but if it isn’t tested at the right time (early), it may not show up.
    –See a rheumatologist to rule out autoimmune conditions. My inflammation was very high but it did not reveal autoimmune conditions. You can be positive for a condition and it may not show up for 5 more years, FYI.
    –See your PCP, neurologist, rheumatologist and more. I even saw an ENT due to the dizziness.
    –If no diagnosis, see a university level rheumatologist. They are master doctors and she was the only Dr who knew what it was. A different ENT later confirmed it (I did not tell them the other Dr’s diagnosis). Others later confirmed it.

——> Everyone please look up "central sensitivity syndrome" or CSS. It’s the umbrella parent term for a condition I got diagnosed with once they suspected fibro. When my fibro presented I couldn’t walk 5 feet and went to the ER with vertigo for the first time, weak leg/arm muscles, numb lips/fingers/toes. Over a year later and 17 doctors later, yes 17, I was diagnosed with CSS including fibro.

CSS encompasses fibro (I have severe fibro), Interstitial cystitis of the bladder (I have severe IC), chronic fatigue syndrome (I have that), TMJ dysfunction (I have that too), Irritable bowel syndrome (I think I have it), chronic headache/migraine (I have), pelvic pain (I have), poor sleep (I have), anxiety/depression (I have), fibro fog/poor memory/concentration (I have), widespread pain and sensitivity (I have including sensitive teeth), PTSD (I have that), restless leg (I have that), Multiple chemical sensitivity (I have that), etc.
    It probably sounds like I’m exaggerating to have all this. I swear on a stack of Bibles or whatever you want me to swear on, I have it all. I’m 37 and often have to use a cane, park close with placard, and pace my energy, physical, and THINKING expenditures. I have to space out tiring events. I cannot walk far but I can use a recumbent bike. I can only talk on the phone for 10-15 mins or I get exhausted. I cannot work and no, I don’t get disability money. CSS is horrific. I thought just having severe IC was painful enough with the severe urinary burning and inflammation. With my SEVERE IC I can only eat about 30 single ingredient foods! CSS is the devil.
    When I get sick, my CSS/fibro flares up. I NEVER feel well and always am in pain. Even with cymbalta and other meds.

I tried CBT with a therapist, it only helped slightly to deal with it.

I found a massage therapist and told her how delicate I am with severe fibro. She adapted how to massage me. It really helps but you need to communicate and have a therapist who listens and is gentle. I have a 1 hr session once a month. It helps more than anything else. Including warm/hot baths with dead sea salts. Reducing stress. Pacing/Spacing out physical and mental tasks. Simplify your life. Reduce what you do. Find shortcuts. Hire out services if you can.

28. melissa gomez on May 26, 2021 at 4:02 am

Special thanks to Salami_healing_herbs on instagram with his herbal medicine that cure me from fbromyalgia

29. Moe Banshee on May 26, 2021 at 4:03 am

I started having terrible pain when I was 40 now no one asked me about polio and I had polio when I was 6 months old my mother didn’t even tell me that until I was diagnosed finally with lupus and she asked me if maybe the polio had something to do with it that was the first time I heard about polio before they would test me for lupus I had a doctor keep giving me antidepressants. I would warn people to be careful because doctors are ready to hand you antidepressants and not everyone can take them. I kept telling the doctor I was going to at the time I was still in pain my left foot was dropping I was dropping things from my hands so he kept upping the dose of amitriptyline and then Lyrica I was sleepwalking and my daughter caught me going out the door and when she asked me where I was going I said I was going to jump off the Edison bridge in New Jersey I have no memory of that. My daughter went with me to the doctor and said she can’t take antidepressants and the rheumatologist said then let her be in pain until she dies. The GP I was going to at the time kept running blood test but would not tell me that it kept hitting for lupus. After 2 years of constantly getting these hits for Lupus he finally said well it says here you have lupus and Lyme’s disease. Of course now we’re also hearing about post-polio syndrome. I would warn people absolutely go try to see if there’s something you can do to help but I think a lot of the brain fog comes from the antidepressants and bad reactions to medications that patients are given. The Lyrica actually helped with the pain this part I remember sitting in a library looking at my daughter telling her when your father dies I’m going to kill myself so you don’t have to take care of me. I thought it was the most brilliant thing I ever said. She looked it up and lyrica’s just another antidepressant. The doctor said we’re not giving it to you for depression we’re giving it to you to help with the pain. The side effect was not worth it in my opinion. There are pain medications out there they are made for people who have pain and I know we are an anti-drug society now. The problem is doctors want everybody on antidepressants and I am living proof that I almost ended up dead because of antidepressants. People need to be really careful when looking for magic cures sometimes they’re just aren’t any out there.

30. Anna Martha on May 26, 2021 at 4:04 am

When grace is at work, So many things gives way, What so many people have used  to mocked me, Herbalist Alaho Olu has turned it to a living testimony. Thank God Almighty who used  Dr Alaho Olu on YouTube to cure me from Fibromyalgia with his herbs.

31. Juliana Matthews on May 26, 2021 at 4:08 am

I’m now fibromyalgia free after taken the salami_healing_herbs. check that up on Instagram Now for help.

32. andie on May 26, 2021 at 4:12 am

I was diagnosed it took over 30 years to get there and it is hell. No-one believes me even after a diagnosis. Ive lost freindships. Will there ever be a cure.

33. Tay on May 26, 2021 at 4:15 am

I have so many symptoms
    But mainly its like the flu aches with areas akin to a sprained muscle
    On a bad day its like iv fallen down the stairs and have bruises all over .
    Nothing has worked so far.
    Its ruining my life!

34. jay's gaming and builds c on May 26, 2021 at 4:15 am

Been diagnosed, was then discharged, and i have no help with ig

35. Amanpreet Singh on May 26, 2021 at 4:15 am

My uncle had suffered from this problem. He was total upset during this. He went to many hospitals. But the result was not good. Then, Someone told him about planet Ayurveda. He went to Planet Ayurveda & got his treatment started. Now he is fine.

36. Chelsey Rumberger on May 26, 2021 at 4:16 am

So basically just keep living your life lol

37. jay's gaming and builds c on May 26, 2021 at 4:18 am

Get told to exersise…. I work hard in a warehouse environment where i choose to not use the lifting tools, so i get exersise i the get told to exersise less, sooo bloody frustrating

38. Colleen Ray on May 26, 2021 at 4:19 am

l herd a strong vitamin B1 (fat soluble one ) has good effects on helping .

39. Vanilla Bean on May 26, 2021 at 4:20 am

Anyone experienced bruising with fibromyalgia?

40. Dakota North on May 26, 2021 at 4:20 am

Why is it that diet is never mentioned??? A lot of my pains stopped or decreased when I changed my diet. I was diagnosed with endometriosis and fibromyalgia. When I was on a strict endometriosis diet it helped with a lot of my fibro symptoms.

41. Rebecca Batdorf on May 26, 2021 at 4:22 am

And a problem was as my medical test were negative my doctors started ignoring me about my concerns. It took me 10 years to get a diagnosis and to start getting treatment but I’m still miserable at this point

42. mellowminty on May 26, 2021 at 4:22 am

i was diagnosed with fibro when i was 17, i’ll be 23 soon. the severity of pain and the loss of ability to focus are incredibly adept at putting your life on pause. i don’t really have much of a life at this point.

and the tenderness … people can’t even give me a damn hug without hurting me. people barely touch me and its like they started stoning me.

43. Mark Fairbarn on May 26, 2021 at 4:25 am

I think its amazing they can make vaccines to cure covid in such a short time but people can live with these horrible diseases and no one finds a cure. Just a thought

44. Yvette Givens on May 26, 2021 at 4:26 am

I first had wide spread pain after my first child at age 22. Then many years of “remissions “ but full fledge during menopause at 44-47. I’m 56 now and still don’t take medication but it does flair up once in a while and I have what I call flu flairs. Feels like the flu hit me and a semi truck! Luckily those episodes only last hours or one day!! Meditation prayer healthy supplements and healthy eating staying positive and hopeful has helped the most. I too am a nurse so it CAN be hard at times! Heat, epsom salt baths, and magnesium topically also help

45. Reginald Neal on May 26, 2021 at 4:27 am

I am so grateful to Dr Uzoya on YouTube who cure me from fibromyalgia with his effective herbal products, I will continue to speard your good news here in the United States

46. Alexxandria Hughes on May 26, 2021 at 4:27 am

Diagnosed at 20 in 2017, idk what a normal life will be because of it, its fucking fantastic

47. Kim M on May 26, 2021 at 4:28 am

I dont get flare ups my pain is daily with an occasional less painful day. I don’t have tender points just overall body aches. So far there really is no help, you can take meds and then go thru life feeling groggy when your brain is already half dead. Meloxicam has been the closest thing to help for me but its not working well anymore. Might as well crawl in a hole.

48. Ariana Bathory on May 26, 2021 at 4:30 am

I’m 18 and struggle with chronic pain and fatigue every day makes working horrible I can’t find anything I can do without being in tons of pain