Fibromyalgia: Mayo Clinic Radio

On the Mayo Clinic Radio podcast, Dr. Christopher Aakre, an internal medicine specialist in Mayo Clinic’s Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Clinic, discusses diagnosing and managing fibromyalgia.

This interview originally aired March 23, 2019.

Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes pain all over the body, sleep problems, fatigue, and often emotional and mental distress. Fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals, meaning people with fibromyalgia are more sensitive to pain than those without the disorder. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fibromyalgia affects around 4 million U.S. adults, or about 2 percent of the adult population.

To learn more about fibromyalgia, visit: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibromyalgia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354780?mc_id=us&utm_source=newsnetwork&utm_medium=l&utm_content=content&utm_campaign=mayoclinic&geo=national&placementsite=enterprise&cauid=100721&_ga=2.51715113.1832516616.1552919944-165526356.1480776015

1. aineuaine on September 5, 2020 at 12:47 am

I have just been informed while attending the pain clinic, that fibromyalgia is caused because there is brain inflammation, which can be seen on a MRI scan.

2. wkjeom on September 5, 2020 at 12:50 am

What causes the pain??? It’s caused by pathogens that bug (pun intended) the nervous system, specifically nerves, and cause pain which can be called phantom pain. It’s real pain because you feel it. Very painful and it travels. I’m a reseachers cause I’ve had/have it. Oh and not everyone has all the points. Wonder of wonders, IV ABX got rid of most of it. Not a cure at least for me, but helps so much. They took my IV ABX away so I hate many doctors as a result. There are some gems among those doctors. I call these the REAL doctors. These are clowns for doctors in this video.

3. Melissa Uhlman on September 5, 2020 at 12:50 am

Why does she look so smug? This is not a joke.

4. zeeshan ahmad khattak on September 5, 2020 at 12:51 am

I am 32 nd i figured it out few months back…. I was the laziest in my siblings having pain all the time.. I cdnt get up of my bed… I use to exercise daily with running aerobics and weight lifting but cdnt get off wd my pain lethargy and fatigue… I too have suicidal thoughts sometimes like why am i so… Why am i so dull being mocked all tbe time… I have the tendency to forget things nd difficulty to concentrate on things… I dnt knw wether im having fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome? I have this fear wether my family or other people wd even listen to me and consider it an evil disease???

5. A E on September 5, 2020 at 12:51 am

It hurts so bad …. I have it and I’m up right now… hurting so bad

6. shreejan phuyal on September 5, 2020 at 12:51 am

How can we manage pain and get a sleep??please could you suggest me

7. Delgado49 Hatch on September 5, 2020 at 12:53 am

I’m so afraid my fibromyalgia is due to a shingles vaccine I received a number of years ago.

8. daniel newso on September 5, 2020 at 12:53 am

The joking and laughing in this is insulting frankly.

9. Chris garlick on September 5, 2020 at 12:55 am

Fibromyalgia, (along with a lot others like, ME, carpal, sciatica, back pain etc), are a psychological problem, not a physical one. As long as the medical profession continue to refuse to accept that trauma, anxiety, stress etc can cause acute pain & fatigue in the human body, then we’re still years away from healing. Personally, I’ve never spoken to any woman that has extreme fibromyalgia, that hasn’t experienced sexual abuse or other extreme trauma….

10. Christina B on September 5, 2020 at 12:56 am

This doctor is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and credible!! He is trying to be the grown up in the room.

The two interviewers are complete JERKS!!! Most of us have gone thru YEARS of undiagnosed pain trying to figure out why our quality of life has been so negatively impacted.

Remember there were days prior to xrays and digital imaging that you didn’t know what issues you have. Perhaps one day Fibromyalgia can be diagnosed like Multiple Sclerosis finally was with the advent of MRI’s!!!

11. Anita Break on September 5, 2020 at 12:57 am

While the interviewers seem flippant, they represent the attitudes of so many, many people. It’s good to see the professional counter these common attitudes. Unfortunately, there’s also many medical professionals who doubt the existence and/or effects of fibromyalgia.

12. Noelia on September 5, 2020 at 12:59 am

This is insulting and infuriating. It’s not a joke! I am 37 and I was diagnosed at 26. They have no idea of what’s like to live with fibro. Many of us live without any painkillers or meds, eat well and try to exercise when even though we’re aching EVERYWHERE, among many other complaints including sleep deprivation. And when you do, you wake up tired, like you didn’t rest at all.

13. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 12:59 am

Dont get treatment …no medication …i dont understand..why they dont help me..other people get 15 pills a day..not that i want that …im not stupid..its better to detox

14. Nicole Grant on September 5, 2020 at 12:59 am

Its like being in a car accident everyday of your life then getting on like nothing happened. It disrupts every aspect of your life. I changed careers, lost partners, lost friends, stopped sleeping more than 2 hours a night, I even gave up a sport I loved. But there is a community of us who support each other and stay positive to learn to live with this condition. There is always help and there is always someone to listen when you need a shoulder. We’ve got you Fibro Fighters.

15. Suzanne Jones on September 5, 2020 at 1:00 am

Also many of us with Narcolepsy type 1 have fibromyalgia and/or ME/CFS

16. KBB on September 5, 2020 at 1:04 am

Ya … the last comment from the male interviewer is exactly the attitude that is just disgusting. He didn’t respect one thing that was said by the guest doctor. Oh ya… you need a massage for your poor trigger points … just like have no business talking about fibro.

17. Annie Mac F on September 5, 2020 at 1:04 am

Tracey appears drugged, hung over or high. I hope she gets help soon.

18. RebelAllianceHQ on September 5, 2020 at 1:06 am

So you decided not to treat the problem at all. That’s what I’m hearing. Are you people insane?? You’re as bad as the pigs, helping society my ass.

19. Chloe Taylor on September 5, 2020 at 1:07 am

Diagnosis criteria…Be a overweight middle aged divorced female with moderate depression! They have a “woe is me” gene and despite claiming to feel awful and are in incredible pain yet The majority of sufferers refuse to engage in the therapies proven to help and demand pain medications proven make the symptoms worse ! If you Howe symptoms are as bad as they state why wouldn’t you evaded with the suggested treatments?

20. SoulfuzZ on September 5, 2020 at 1:11 am

I couldn’t live with this chronic severe pain, I’d be eating a bullet for sure after a short time. You people who deal with this are very brave, my prayers are with you all.

21. Airrick9102 on September 5, 2020 at 1:13 am

Hello question to anyone… excuse my ignorance… but is fibro same as myofacial . Pain syndrome?

22. Kallen Fons on September 5, 2020 at 1:14 am

Let’s get all us invisible ill people together to get our dna researched!

23. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 1:15 am

Its progressieve in my case

24. Zoe Amber on September 5, 2020 at 1:16 am

Laughing at pain. This lady has got to be high. She’s an idiot.

25. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 1:17 am

Ldn is good…for this condition ..not extreme but it helps a bit

26. DeviantMotives on September 5, 2020 at 1:19 am

This is a BS disease

27. Lynn Stevens on September 5, 2020 at 1:19 am

The host of this show appears to be intoxicated. She is acting very strange for a serious condition. Quite annoying to have someone like her fidgeting, making weird facial expressions, and giggling while trying to interview a professional doctor.

28. ehyphen66idy on September 5, 2020 at 1:19 am

while a doctor keeps explaining with integrity, these interviewers are not paying enough attention and lack respect for patients….

29. Martin A Robles on September 5, 2020 at 1:19 am

Dr know about u sufer all that for years is a degenerative problem alon yuor spine in geneal also del call spine disorde subletaciones.

30. Phily T on September 5, 2020 at 1:20 am

I think its just you get older and things hurt more. People who took less care of themselves when they were younger experience more pain when they are older. Every person I have ever known with fibermyalgia was old and was a heavy smoker, drinker, or drug user or a combination of all 3.

31. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 1:22 am

I have it 12 years

32. Charlie Schnauzer on September 5, 2020 at 1:23 am

What do I do!!! I’ve just recently been prescribed the butrans patch. I am on the strongest dose of Lyrica. I was diagnosed with RA/Psoriatic Arthritis and now Fibromyalgia. I’m constantly exhausted and my neck back shoulders and knees and hips hurt. My low back and neck are the worst. I went cold turkey off of OxyContin because I was sure it was killing me. So now butrans and that only. Well lyrica and Humira. I’m constantly tired. I am a former avid hiker, powerlifter and basketball player. Now I scan barely walk. Help

33. Hippy Witch on September 5, 2020 at 1:23 am

Fibromyalgia turned every aspect of my life on its head
    This woman comes across as very patronising!
    Step in my shoes for a day, see if you’re so blasé

34. larry eratostene on September 5, 2020 at 1:27 am

When I was diagnosed the doctor told me I needed to apply for disability as I would no longer be able to groom dogs lift dogs or anything close to that. Everyone in my family called me a liar and a con artist plus drug addict even though at the time all I was prescribed was Neurontin whish did nothing.

35. Kim Mackintosh on September 5, 2020 at 1:28 am

Wow, and he is a specialist in Fibro… clearly he does not have Fibro!!!!

36. invidinvasion on September 5, 2020 at 1:28 am

FIBROMYASSGIA….I can tell the female in this video is sceptical. Even though she is a paid actor no doubt.

37. Jennifer Scheiner on September 5, 2020 at 1:29 am

Was hoping I would love this interview as I often read the Mayo Clinic site for reference. As a fibromyalgia warrior, I don’t know if this is just hitting too close to home, or if it is because I’m able to watch their faces, but the hosts of this show present no compassion, empathy, or enthusiasm what-so-ever!!! So much so, that I’m less than 4 minutes in and can’t bring myself to watch the rest. #fakeittillyoumakeit #you’reoncamera

The guest even seems uncomfortable speaking to her. She should try a better poker face. She seems pretty preoccupied, or in her own head about her own & has this smug look of not really wanting to be bothered/lets-get-this-over-with-so-I-can-get-to-my-next-guest-face. In 2019, whilst hosting this radio show for the freaking Mayo Clinic, you’re really asking the basic, idiotic questions that have long been answered the last 20 years? Try doing your homework on a chronic, debilitating, and extremely sensitive disability before you have a guest doctor talking about it on your show.

Maybe I’ll go back and watch this in full, but prob not. Just wow.

38. Carralié Alice Whitewood on September 5, 2020 at 1:31 am

She isn’t wearing a scarf?

39. to be on September 5, 2020 at 1:32 am

i take offense to this video. we should be well beyond having to focus primarily on if this is a mental illness and people are merely imagining they’re sick. if this is the case then everyone who has pain is simply mentally ill. shut up and get to some new discoveries. this is horrible.

40. Annette Perrin on September 5, 2020 at 1:36 am

Fibromyalgia is a very frustrating condition, trust me ~

41. A E on September 5, 2020 at 1:37 am

Alllll over

42. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 1:38 am

Centrale nerve …damagee…becease dokters dont do there jobs..lol

43. tamara genar on September 5, 2020 at 1:42 am

Is it linkt with underdiagnosed autism …? I think it is …hypersensitivity…its neurologic…cvs is cortisol inbalance…

44. Bulldogjob Murphy on September 5, 2020 at 1:42 am

Too bad most folks can’t afford mayo

45. Esther Diprose on September 5, 2020 at 1:42 am

18:30 "yet you can do a prescription for a massage, I think I’ve got some trigger points as well" – just hearing that is disgusting, aren’t these people supposed to be qualified and educated on human compassion, the medical field and common human decency the two on the left were mocking it the whole time absolutely disrespectful, awful and ignorant.

46. Angela Blesi on September 5, 2020 at 1:45 am

A terrible interview.

47. Stephanie Mertz on September 5, 2020 at 1:45 am

I was diagnosed with fibro by means of exclusion, in 2018. My GP ruled out quite a bit through exam and blood panels, and then sent me to a rheumatologist, who did more blood work and x rayed all of my major joints. Then I was told by both that since it wasn’t lupus, RA, etc, that it was fibro.

48. Arvi Chan on September 5, 2020 at 1:45 am

I really hate her laughing. She has like zero empathy and it seems she is very ignorant as well on medical aspects. I don’t mean to disrespect her. But she’s someone who needs to do a jolly talk show. May be some medical show for the kids. Let the other Dr. kakar do the talking please. And the Dr. who’s answering… Tell me one thing. This can pain can lead to depression yeah? Can lead to suicide from there too yeah? Don’t be silly saying no. Paitents of fibro know it better than doctors due to such limited science on it. So to hell with your am Dr. I know what you go through.

49. larry eratostene on September 5, 2020 at 1:46 am

massage therapy I can’t stand to be touched how would that work.