How To Become a Naturopathic Doctor

See more careers at: http://howtobecome.tv/

See more of Dr.Vlahopoulos at: http://www.kihc.ca

Intro: What do you want to be when you grow up?

CV: The word “doctor” is Latin in origin, and it actually means teacher. And that’s because they’re an educator.

Second Intro: This is How to Become.tv.

CV: I’m Christina Vlahopoulos. I’m a naturopathic doctor, and I practice out of Kingston Integrated Healthcare.

What excites me most about the profession, is when I have a person who comes to see me and they’ve gone through years of a condition or aliment or they feel a certain way [and then after they receive treatment from me they say] “I feel so much better.” That’s really what excites me.

[Education to become a naturopathic doctor]

It’s 8 years; 4 years of naturopathic medicine, and 4 years of undergrad. I guess the obstacle is specifically the education itself. In the second year we had exams everyday, 5 days a week for 3 weeks straight. So, it really is a question of endurance. You really have to make sure you’re taking care of yourself while you are going through the education.

In undergrad, people take 5 courses maybe 6 per semester. At the Naturopathic College you’re taking anywhere from 7,8,9. Not only taking the didactic portion, or the in class time, but also the practicum portion. It really felt right when I got to the school, and when I started doing the program. Probably by my second year I really felt comfortable. And [felt like], “this is it, I’m home.” When you’re done, it’s really a phenomenal feeling.

Why [did I] become a naturopathic doctor?

Growing up in a family where we used more alternative forms of therapy, my dad using an onion pulp-ice on his foot for instance, and my mom using potatoes and handkerchief around her head for headache, it made sense when I found out about the school, and when I found out about the college. Having an interest in biology and environmentalism, the two sort of fit together with respect to naturopathic medicine because [naturopathic medicine] looks at the whole body.

[Difference between conventional medical doctors and naturopathic doctors]

I guess the biggest difference between conventional medical doctors and naturopathic doctors is naturopathic doctors go for root cause or getting a better understanding as to why a person is exhibiting the symptoms and not just treating the symptoms themselves.
I would do absolutely nothing differently. This is exactly where I would be.

Ending: What do you want to be when you grow up?

1. Survivors & Thrivors On Purpose on September 22, 2020 at 3:48 am

when I became an ND there were no colleges offering these accredited courses. 50 yrs in natural health, what say you?

2. Nathan Lowden on September 22, 2020 at 3:48 am

Awesome

3. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 3:50 am

Glad you liked it!

4. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 3:53 am

We have interviewed more than one fully certified and accredited Naturopathic Doctor who wore glasses.

5. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 3:53 am

Thank you for the great response!

6. ConsciousInteractive on September 22, 2020 at 3:56 am

haha she better be.

7. Venecia H on September 22, 2020 at 3:56 am

Yes yes yes! Beautiful! I will study this science one day. Thanks for sharing

8. AMAYA HN on September 22, 2020 at 3:58 am

So carrots do not work !!

9. Fosvis on September 22, 2020 at 4:00 am

glasses are but an extension to the eyes when they have become dull enough through age or genetic instances. there s nothing wrong with that. As for drugs, we all know many of them are derived from plants. They may be "magic" bullets in the form of pharmaceuticals, but indeed, the whole is greater then its parts. your rebuttal :

10. Louis Raskin on September 22, 2020 at 4:01 am

So as long as the N.D. obtained their degree from an accredited university, you can be well sure that they are incredibly intellectual and that they have earned the title of Doctor. It takes at minimum 8 years of studying chemistry, anatomy and physiology, biology, biochemistry, nutrition, exercise sciences and other sciences in order to become a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine.
    If you want to know what schools are accredited, google aanmc

11. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:04 am

Really sorry to hear that you feel that way. There is enough evidence to prove this notion false however. Though there are charlatans in every profession.

12. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:08 am

Glasses have nothing to do with it. Naturopathic Doctors are not "followers", but doctors like any other profession.

13. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:09 am

@hellokelliebean At the moment, we don’t have that up to date information. But we will soon. I will send you info when we do. Until then keep learning and asking questions! Thanks for watching and best of luck in pursuing such a worthy career!

14. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:13 am

@wansze9 Thanks Wan! šŸ˜‰

15. oaks510 on September 22, 2020 at 4:13 am

How to become a naturopathic "doctor"… Step 1: have a functioning IQ of no more than 75 and no less than 20…Step 2… Get good at conning the sick and elderly with treatments that dont actually work (start with snake oils, move up to homeopathy) …Step 3… be intellectully unable to tackle or even understand such topics as (but not lmtd. to) : upper math, biology, organic chemistry, and anatomy. Now your all ready to put on your lab coat costume and play doctor!

16. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:14 am

@drevyl Anything specific you would find most helpful? Thanks for the input!

17. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:15 am

I think you misunderstand what a naturopathic doctor is. An ND is simply a doctor that tries to heal the root causes of an illness without the use of pharmaceutical drugs. Whether they wear glasses or not is irrelevant.

18. Louis Raskin on September 22, 2020 at 4:15 am

Hey man, I know where you get that stereotype from, but you’re confusing a Doctor of Naturopathic medicine with someone who just claims that they’re a naturopathic or someone who got a certificate of naturopathy. They are entirely different. I’m pursuing a degree to become a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, or an N.D. and I’m currently in biochemical science courses. You have to take organic chemistry and analytical chemistry, algebra, trig, and calc, along with a myriad science-based courses.

19. Fosvis on September 22, 2020 at 4:15 am

what a ridiculous statement.

20. darkenergylambda on September 22, 2020 at 4:16 am

Real doctor (MD) in training here. We treat the whole body and all symptoms we have a much better understanding of the body and systems than NDs and our training is far more challenging. 4 year undergrad, 4 years of med school and 4-7 years of training afterwards.

You can trust medical science or a placebo. Your choice.

21. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:28 am

Thank you!

22. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:29 am

@drevyl Great feedback. We will keep this in mind for our next one!

23. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:30 am

You jest, but funny!

24. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:30 am

My understanding is that the thing we have the most control over is our diet and general lifestyle. Eating primarily a leafy greens, fruits and vegetable, would eliminate many of the "disorders" that are so common today.

25. tootoo1upper on September 22, 2020 at 4:32 am

@hellokelliebean my advice is to work hard in college and get into a real medical school lol

26. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:32 am

An ND and a Developer? You’re Mother will be proud! šŸ˜‰

27. StyleElegance on September 22, 2020 at 4:38 am

Great job again! VERY informative and interesting!

28. Melissa Joseph on September 22, 2020 at 4:40 am

Hello All…..!!! Greetings!! We cordially announce ā€œHolistic Medicine, Nursing Congressā€ to be held during April 23-24 2018, at Las Vegas, USA. Kindly let us know your participation to enlighten your research and success of this event. Slots available for speakers/delegates/exhibitors/sponsors Kindly go through the below link for more details about the conference- thanks giving offer going to end by 26/11/2017 kindly register and avail benefits http://holisticmedicine.alliedacademies.com/

29. ConsciousInteractive on September 22, 2020 at 4:40 am

This video helped my brother out. Its right up his valley.

30. Wan Sze Kong on September 22, 2020 at 4:41 am

Good insight into a semester of schooling at the Naturopathic College.

31. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:43 am

@tootoo1upper You’d likely advocate we go back to "blood letting" too yes? Evolve from "real" to what is proven to work better in some cases.

32. HowToBecomeTV on September 22, 2020 at 4:46 am

We cover careers here. You’d have to meet with an ND to find that out.