How To Dilute Essential Oils Guide + How and Where To Apply

How To Dilute Essential Oils Guide + How and Where To Apply | Top 15 Essential Oil Questions | Video 9

Learn more about Plant Therapy Essential Oils: http://bit.ly/2IyUQK8

If you’re new to this series, be sure to go back and check out the rest of this series (and other cool videos too) on our YouTube channel.

Today, we’re talking about how to dilute your essential oils, and how to apply them.

Your guide to diluting essential oils for beginners

We get asked all the time: Do essential oils need to be diluted? The answer is yes, but how much and what you use to dilute them with depends on how you want to use them!

How to dilute essential oils with carrier oils:

When you’re diluting essential oils with a carrier oil, like coconut oil it’s actually really easy. Just add the essential oil(s) and mix thoroughly. That’s it!

Once your essential oils are diluted in a carrier oil, you can add the diluted mixture to a roll on bottle, a DIY, or just add about a tablespoon of carrier oil and a drop or two of essential oil directly to your palm for an immediate and quick use.

If you want to learn more about carrier oils, be sure to go back and check out video number 8 in the series, which tells you everything you need to know about carrier oils!

How to dilute essential oils with water:

If you’re wondering how to dilute essential oils with water, it’s a little more complicated than other options. You don’t ‘dilute’ essential oils in water, you have to add an emulsifier, like Solubol or Polysorbate, in order for the oils to properly disperse. Emulsifiers are generally used at 0.5-1.5% dilution, and you should also consider adding a preservative if your product isn’t going to be used right away. So if you’re going to use your oils in the bath, dilute them in your favorite natural body wash instead of just adding them to the water!

How to decide which dilution to use:

The second question we get a lot is: How do I decide which dilution to use? While there is no solid rule set-in-stone for diluting essential oils, there are some guidelines you should follow based on age and how your using the oils.

For normal, daily use of essential oils for adults, we recommend a 2% dilution [Retha adds and example of an oil she dilutes at 2%].
For acuate situations for adults, you can temporarily go up to a 5-10% dilution for a short period of time. Make sure you still keep in mind the maximum dermal rates of the oils you’re using [Retha to add an example of an oil/situation she uses this dilution]
For children, oftentimes a 2% dilution or lower is recommended.
For babies between 0-3 months, we recommend a general dilution of 0.1%-0.2% (1-2 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier when being used for whole body application. For spot usage, you can use 3-9 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier.).
For children ages 3-24 months, we recommend a general dilution of 0.25%-0.5% (2-4 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier when being used for whole body application. For spot usage, you can use 9-27 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce carrier oil.).
For children 2 and older, a 2% dilution is recommended.
When applying essential oils to the whole body, like in massage, we recommend maintaining a low, 1%-2% dilution for adults, and a 1% or lower for children.
When adding essential oils to the bathtub, we recommend diluting to no more than 2% in a carrier oil or unscented body wash. Be sure to avoid hot oils like peppermint, cinnamon, and oregano in the bath!
When cleaning with essential oils, a 5% dilution is good for a spray bottle cleaner and for linen sprays we recommend a 2 – 3 % dilution.

Where to put essential oils and the best areas to apply

How to apply essential oils topically:

After you dilute your essential oils, they can be applied to the body, but it’s important to know how to apply essential oils topically. They can be rubbed on the body, they can be massaged into the skin, or they can be rolled on if using a roller bottle.

Best areas to apply essential oil & Where to rub essential oil:

There really is no “best” area to apply essential oils. Generally speaking, diluted essential oils are best applied to the area of the body you’re having trouble with.

If you’re having discomfort in your back, you can apply the essential oils directly to your back! If you’re wanting to support healthy hair growth, like me, then massaging essential oils diluted into your favorite shampoo directly on the scalp would work best.

If you have any questions about dilution, please leave a comment below and we’ll be sure to help you out!

| Stay Connected with Plant Therapy |
Plant Therapy► http://bit.ly/2tnbSBu
PT Perqs Rewards Program► http://bit.ly/2N7qn5t
DIY Printable Downloads► http://bit.ly/2SUdL6Q
Plant Therapy Blog ► http://bit.ly/2DHkw2f
Facebook ► http://bit.ly/2kBeQAt
Twitter ► http://bit.ly/2yULWxt
Instagram ► http://bit.ly/2zaNHYD
Pinterest ► http://bit.ly/2yUCjiD

1. David Murray on October 30, 2020 at 7:32 am

Happy to know that I have to be a chemist as well as an essential oils expert.

2. Dolly Osi on October 30, 2020 at 7:33 am

Thank you for sharing … approx how many drops of essential oils would I need to put in a 100ml or grams of diy body butter for daily use . Thank you for your assistance?

3. Sanja New Moon Life on October 30, 2020 at 7:36 am

Who decide your rules? I put in my bath how many drops I want,and I feel in heaven.

4. Sugar Honey on October 30, 2020 at 7:37 am

Can I dilute tha whole ta tree oil in one container with coconut oil.?

5. frederico da silva on October 30, 2020 at 7:38 am

How make the essential oil for hair?

6. Sam Finoh on October 30, 2020 at 7:38 am

Why ?

7. Mimz on October 30, 2020 at 7:40 am

Hello, I’m wondering what is a safe dilution rate for facial serums ? I have. 125 ml 4.2 FL oz bottle I’m trying to add a serum to consisting of frankincense myrrh and lemongrass.i calculated using a website and it says 120 drops in total for 5% so i guess 40 of each e.o. would this be safe for my face ?

8. Jobe Porter on October 30, 2020 at 7:40 am

I’d like to speak to the manager please

9. Amanda Amruso on October 30, 2020 at 7:41 am

I want to make my own cleaner with bleach, can i mix essential oil with it to add scent?

10. Bel Diman on October 30, 2020 at 7:43 am

can one use olive oil instead of coconut oil to dillute?

11. Kevin Daniel on October 30, 2020 at 7:46 am

Guys can I ingest artemesia annua (Sweet Annie) essential oil?

12. kaneez fiza on October 30, 2020 at 7:49 am

Can i use essential oil with mustard oil?
    For hair growth…..

13. MAE Gary on October 30, 2020 at 7:49 am

I’m new to all of this and understand that lavender oil can be used to get rid of mites but I want to use it to mop the floors and wash the walls.HELP ME PLEASE EVERY ONE THINKS I’M CRAZY!!!! MITES ARE TRYING TO EAT ME ALIVE AND THEY HAVEN’T REMOVED THE BIRD NEST ON MY APARTMENT.HELP

14. Gibzei on October 30, 2020 at 7:50 am

I wanted to use essential oils and fragrance oils as a way to make cologne or perfume. Is it okay if I mix essential oils with fragrance oils?

15. Brianna Arianna on October 30, 2020 at 7:51 am

hi do i need carrier oil? for my scented candle…oil is expensive..anu tricks for it?

16. Zara Hafeez on October 30, 2020 at 7:51 am

Can we mix orange essential oil in rosemary oil and glycerin plus vitamin e capsule then use its two drop on face? is there any side effect of it..

17. JaiDee7 on October 30, 2020 at 7:51 am

Wanted to know what other oils can be used for dilution. No Luck. I’m driving a mouse out of my house with peppermint.

18. raymond kitamura on October 30, 2020 at 7:53 am

Hi Retha… My name is Raymond. I like your simple explanations… very easy to understand and follow. I do have a mosquito problem… they love me! So I bought a product that had Lemon Eucalyptus oil, Polysorbate 20 and water in a small 2 oz. spray bottle saying it’s a mosquito repellant, spraying it on the arms and any exposed skin while outside. I looked up what other essential oils that repel mosquitos. I want to duplicate this but adding possibly 2 or 3 more oils to the mixture. Is that possible? Do you have a video that explains how to do this?

19. Ray on October 30, 2020 at 7:56 am

Why do essential oils have to be diluted?

20. Melissa Castañeda on October 30, 2020 at 7:57 am

Hi! do i have to use soluble for linen sprays?

21. asmitha priyanka vanapalli on October 30, 2020 at 7:57 am

For Pimples- ratio for essential oil and the career oil?

22. Greg Danielson on October 30, 2020 at 7:58 am

Plant Therapy: The doctor told my elderly mother to try essential oils for an irritated/itchy red spot on her scalp. I was thinking a coconut carrier oil, but which essential oil do you suggest along with the proper diluting? Thank you.

23. MissChissy Budget on October 30, 2020 at 7:59 am

For the 2% dilution for kids (2tbs and 6 drops for mls). What if I wanted to add the dilution to something which was more the 30mls, does the dilution still stay the same or does it multiply. For example if I wanted to add the dilution to my children’s hair moisturizer?

24. Vanessa Rodriguez on October 30, 2020 at 8:00 am

Can I use scented body wash??

25. zathik jiha on October 30, 2020 at 8:03 am

Hi
    Is distilled water or glycerine necessary for making perfume?
    What is the use of distilled water with the perfume?

26. dubai fitness on October 30, 2020 at 8:03 am

PLEASE ANSWER!!
    so i am using JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL (as carrier) mixed with some argan oil to lighten it
    total carrier oil was 30ml

so to this 30mls
    i added 14 drops of peppermint oil, 12 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of tea tree oil – IS THIS TOO STRONG???????????

GOAL: promote hair growth/regrowth etc. try to prevent/slow male pattern baldness

27. Rajesh Lodha on October 30, 2020 at 8:04 am

i want to mix 6 types of essential oils to water pls suggest natural or chemical emusifier in powder from will also do

28. Igor Sidelkovsky on October 30, 2020 at 8:05 am

This was great, I been tryin to find out about "what temperature do you pour candle wax?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you ever come across – Peyadison Peerless Prestige – (search on google ) ? It is a great one off product for discovering how to make candles for fun or money minus the hard work. Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my partner got amazing results with it.

29. Diwakar Koravi on October 30, 2020 at 8:06 am

What is the composition using emulsifier??

30. Maham m on October 30, 2020 at 8:06 am

How do I dilute ginger oil to apply on hair ?

31. Vanna James on October 30, 2020 at 8:08 am

how to use essential to grow your hairline

32. Mohammadanis Jamadar on October 30, 2020 at 8:10 am

How to dilute oleoresins (Vanilla, pineapple)

33. shinta arabella on October 30, 2020 at 8:12 am

Hi can i mix castor oil,coconut oil and lemongrass essential oil?

34. Shom on October 30, 2020 at 8:13 am

I am seeing that if someone tee tree oil gets into the body, mouth or eyes or otherwise, it is harmful. How do you recommend the safest way to wash our hands and palms to be very sure that the oil is completely removed.

PS: I am observing that even after washing hands well 2-3 times, the smell of it stays back.

Best,

35. SA on October 30, 2020 at 8:13 am

Would love to know how much “ Camphor “ you can add to 2 cups of Infused Rosemary Oil ? Fresh Rosemary was infused in a carrier oil for 4 hours in a crock pot and would love to know how much of Camphor to add and at what stage. Thank you 🙂

36. swaggastronomer on October 30, 2020 at 8:14 am

0:50 diluting oils
    1:29 useing water to dilute it
    1:51 how to decide to pick dilution

37. Jason on October 30, 2020 at 8:18 am

I like to put a mixture that I buy from Trader Joe’s. It’s Coconut, Jojoba, sweet almond and lemongrass, but I mix it into my hair to keep gels, pomade and or anything with alcohol in it. Problem is that that particular "skin oil" is out and at least $13 on amazon for <4oz. I would love to be able to make it myself since it’s really good for my hair and makes it silky. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about ratios?

38. Elvis Rand on October 30, 2020 at 8:19 am

I am from Washington. I am so happy today because I am free from Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). I have been having this Virus since the past two years now, and I have passed through many different processes in getting cured from the Virus, but nothing was working out. A friend of mine introduced me to Herbal Health Doctor called Dr Alaho Olu, who sent me hpv virus herbal remedy and my life get transformed and everything is fine and okay with me. Till now I have been going to check up and it is now going to four months and I am still negative…Thanks to Dr Alaho Olu , I will never stop telling the world about your good work.

39. wauwau pikpok on October 30, 2020 at 8:20 am

Hi.thanks for your videos.i wanted to dilute lemon grass oil for fungal infection. what do i do?

40. Milk Aiko on October 30, 2020 at 8:22 am

Thank you for the information!

41. Saher mir on October 30, 2020 at 8:23 am

Mam i am ur new sbscribr i want to know can i mix orange essential oil with coconut oil and massage my face with this mixture i have so much tan on my skin please rply

42. Peter Joshuva on October 30, 2020 at 8:23 am

Your way of presentation is so suttle and calm I need to expert opinion on how to dilute these oil my purpose is to promote hair growth and prevent dandruff the carrier oil I’m using is castor oil and the essential oils are peppermint,rosemary,tea tree and I like to use vitamin e oil too

43. Alex zees on October 30, 2020 at 8:25 am
  44. DaugtherOfSarah on October 30, 2020 at 8:26 am

Thank you for the very informative video! I have a question. When I want to make a blend of essential oils and dilute them in a carrier oil, do I need to look at the total amount of all combined essential oils in order to calculate the dilution? For instance, do I make sure that each essential oil is 2% of the carrier oil (in which case combined I will have about 12% essential oils in the carrier oil) or all essential oils combined are 2% of the carrier oil?

45. Mero Mero on October 30, 2020 at 8:26 am

How i can dissolve volatile oil in alcohol for perfume,

46. jude miranda on October 30, 2020 at 8:30 am

Hi thanks for this video. I need to ask if I want to make a blend for muscular pain- can I mix peppermint ,Eucalyptus, marjoram, lavender and ginger together with coconut oil?

47. Vanna James on October 30, 2020 at 8:31 am

what essentials oils to use for hair lost