How to Make Flea Spray From Peppermint Oil, Cedar Oil & Purified Water : Growing & Using Herbs

Watch More:

Flea spray can be made right at home by combining peppermint oil, cedar oil, purified water and a few other key ingredients. Learn how to make flea spray with peppermint oil, cedar oil and purified water with help from a certified clinical herbalist in this free video clip.

Expert: Deserie Valloreo
Filmmaker: Jeffrey Carter

Series Description: Herbs can be used to do anything from increasing your energy to cleaning your hair, as long as you know how to use them in the proper ways. Get tips on growing and using herbs with help from a certified clinical herbalist in this free video series.

1. Johannah W on September 3, 2020 at 12:43 am

This worked GREAT on our cats!!! I’m so happy we don’t need to choose between putting toxic dangerous chemicals on them or else let them suffer from fleas! Plus it makes the whole house smell nice.

2. a13thhour on September 3, 2020 at 12:43 am

I can not imagine my ferrets would be to thankful if I were to apply peppermint oil to their skin diluted or otherwise.

3. The OVERLORD on September 3, 2020 at 12:44 am

Cedar Oil is poisonous!!!!!!….use Cedarwood oil instead, it is made from the wood and not the needles and is not as toxic.

4. D Lambert on September 3, 2020 at 12:48 am

how big is the spray bottle

5. Tex Tech on September 3, 2020 at 12:50 am

I didn’t see any "other key ingredients" as mentioned in the description.

6. yves acmep on September 3, 2020 at 12:55 am

people are stupid.
    just take youtr animal to a vet, it cost more but they sure know what they do.
    I found nothing  on cedar  and pepermint oïl toxicity on felines.  So,
     my  point is not to use something you " think" is harmless.

7. Planet Izzy on September 3, 2020 at 12:56 am

Hi I have been looking into cedar oil, as my labrador had a severe reaction to permethrin, in a well known spot on treatment and it was bad!!! shes lucky she survived it, my question do I apply everyday???? thanks for a great video

8. Dez Martin on September 3, 2020 at 12:58 am

Im making the same thing but im also adding patchouli oil into it.

9. Secret on September 3, 2020 at 1:00 am

A glass bottle with a metal top is better. The oils are known to react with plastics.

10. Katie Diaz on September 3, 2020 at 1:01 am

Peppermint oil is toxic to dogs.

11. Wzystko Cokham on September 3, 2020 at 1:01 am

AWESOME! YOUR NOT TOO BAD LOOKIN EITHER THERE YOUNG LADY! CAN I WIPE YOU WITH "ESSENTIAL" OILS?!    YABBA…DABBA…DOO!!!

12. Princess Peach on September 3, 2020 at 1:03 am

Why use a rag? Can’t we spray the pets?

13. Chavaughn Walker on September 3, 2020 at 1:04 am

I found it at whole foods

14. siameezerlady on September 3, 2020 at 1:05 am

Don’t use on cats! Essential Oils are very bad for felines. Good video, thanks!

15. N Lentze on September 3, 2020 at 1:05 am

Don’t you need a carrier oil when using essential oils, since they don’t mix with water?

16. seth webber on September 3, 2020 at 1:07 am

Wow I couldn’t listen past 0:25

17. Ellen Golden on September 3, 2020 at 1:08 am

I have noticed that my cat has all these bumps and it looks like a rash or something. Very scaly. And after a few weeks of treating him and it not getting better – I just saw a flee! Not used to it because I lived in a place before with no fleas before! So now I know what’s "bugging" him and of course I’m so happy to find this natural remedy for him. It answers my questions after perusing the internet and finding out that full strength essential oils are not good – for a cat. Also I wonder if I should treat him outside for when the fleas get hit and jump off. Thank you so much!

18. Valerie Spinner on September 3, 2020 at 1:09 am

It is ok to use Lavender essential oil instead of peppermint and cedar for cats. Spraying peppermint/cedar oil around your home will make fleas and rodents flee 🙂 Thanks for the video!

19. Angela Coffman on September 3, 2020 at 1:09 am

Peppermint oil is toxic to cats. Cedarwood oil is safe for them. A popular commercial blend for killing fleas is 1 cup water, 1 scant Tbs Cedarwood oil and 1 drop of baby soap. They recommend spraying on a soft cloth and then rubbing it through the fur backwards to treat. It only kills fleas while wet, after it dries it’s just a repellant. Keep in mind if you are repelling fleas off of your indoor pets, any resident fleas are likely to jump into your upholstered furniture and carpets. These areas should be treated as well.

20. watchgoose on September 3, 2020 at 1:10 am

wouldn’t use peppermint anyway, it makes me ill.

21. Marina Michaels on September 3, 2020 at 1:10 am

I made this spray, using the cedar oil that is supposed to be the most effective (the Virginia variety). Alas, no fleas were harmed in the process. I caught a few fleas on one of my cats, sprayed a sink, and placed them in the sink. Nothing. They seemed quite undisturbed. So I sprayed the evil little bloodsuckers directly and observed closely. Several minutes later, they were still quite alive and still seemed unphased by the spray. I’ve sprayed the entire house anyway, but am not holding my breath for results. At least the house smells amazing now.

22. Diane marie on September 3, 2020 at 1:12 am

WARNING DONT USE THIS MIX SHE MADE OMG!!!!!! JUST USE magic!!!! COCNUT OiL ON A DAMP FUR RUB IN COMPLETELY AND DRY!!! 100%%%%% effective cat dogs pigs horses cats

23. FoxyWhite on September 3, 2020 at 1:13 am

DO NOT USE ESSENTIAL OILS ON YOUR CATS. IT’S VERY HARMFUL TO THEM. Their bodies can’t process the oils the way humans and dogs can.

24. TeaForMyLov on September 3, 2020 at 1:15 am

Thanks for this video i was looking for one to make a carpet and furnature spay. Im guessing it will work.( also a note for anyone baking soad will kill flea eggs in carpet and fernature) but please add into your next video about cats! Both of those oils can harm cats! Acteally most essental oils seem to be harmful to cats. Just because it is natreal does not mean its not harmful! (As my grandmal always said possion ives natreal but you dont see people rubbing it all over there body!)

25. nouveau souffle on September 3, 2020 at 1:16 am

which type of cedar oil is best? texas cedarwood or juniperius virginiana?

26. S Barber on September 3, 2020 at 1:16 am

I can’;t seem to find the cedar oil or peppermint oil. I have checked at WalMart, CVS and Walgreens. Any suggestions please.

27. jake tehtwothousand on September 3, 2020 at 1:17 am

I just took some allowvera, and used a 1/8 ratio of Oil and Water. I sprayed a 1/64 and fleas were not too happy so I upped it a tad bit.

28. loey jubenville on September 3, 2020 at 1:18 am

THE TINY BLACK BUGS THAT BITE ,HOW TO MIX THE CEDARWOOD OIL SPRAY

29. oceanrefusesnoriver on September 3, 2020 at 1:20 am

Yur awesome

30. carol beran on September 3, 2020 at 1:21 am

what can I use to help my cat he has heperthyroidism cat afford blood test for it he has all the sign of it the vet said he did what healthy homyopathy can I use

31. Teri June on September 3, 2020 at 1:22 am

My daughter killed her two small  poodles using a few drops of Citronella, Pennyroyal, and Eucalyptus,  applied to just a couple of spots on her pet directly,  as directed on the product information pamphlet for "serious cases of fleas". When you say they are safe, you are saying you can use them generously. My daughter herself was red as a beet after getting it on her hands to put on her dogs. The dogs went crazy and she thought the product was stirring up the fleas, but it was burning I suspect. Please don’t say essential oils  are safe. Imagine if a mother put some on a baby thinking they are safe??? Perhaps peppermint and cedar oil are less toxic than the ones she used but I dropped lavender  on a table top and it stripped the paint right off a small spot where it dropped. The companies that sell these products are not telling people how toxic they can be.

32. Jennifer W on September 3, 2020 at 1:23 am

VETS BEST is peppermint EO and clove EO mixed with water and similar.

33. bonnie bassett on September 3, 2020 at 1:24 am

how often should it be applied ?

34. DarthJar on September 3, 2020 at 1:25 am

I’ll just stick with Advantage

35. HKP Seeker on September 3, 2020 at 1:26 am

cats do not process oils for some reason – in there bodies and u should not use Ess Oils on cats.go research.

36. acuff79 on September 3, 2020 at 1:27 am

MY CAT IS VERY SICK FROM PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL. LIVER DAMAGE, DEHYDRATED, PNEUMONIA!

37. Rumza Shirkey on September 3, 2020 at 1:31 am

Hi Deserie. Would this work on humans as well, what brand of essential oils did you use and just any kind of cedar oil? Thank you.

38. Secret on September 3, 2020 at 1:31 am

Also, that’s a lot of oil if applying directly to the dog. I used just 3 drops.

39. wheezin_mtnbkr on September 3, 2020 at 1:34 am

I know that one type of cedar oil is toxic and thr other is not. Do that homework first.

40. phantomcreamer on September 3, 2020 at 1:35 am