Materia Medica: Spanish Needle

Herbalist Emily Ruff introduces us to the ubiquitous herbal ally, Bidens alba. This potent plant medicine is also a prolific “weed”, nutritious food, and important pollinator food.

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/floridaschoolofholisticliving
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/holisticlivingschool

Learn more about our current and upcoming offerings and Subscribe to our newsletter: https://mailchi.mp/holisticlivingschool/2020

Want to dive deeper? Check out our Roots of Herbalism program. https://www.holisticlivingschool.org/roots-homestudy/

Appreciating our free classes and would like to give a love donation? Thank you! Your donation helps us to continue our work.

1. frank GFish21 ferrante on October 24, 2020 at 7:04 am

very informative … thanks ! and I subbed your awesome channel

2. Felice Gilmartin on October 24, 2020 at 7:05 am

Great information I have a ton of these and I did notice how the bees loved it so I would let it grow until it was done flowering. The seeds are what drive me crazy, they get stuck in everthing from my clothes to my cats and dogs fur. But now that I know it is edible that is awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Brighest Blessings!

3. Steven Scott on October 24, 2020 at 7:05 am

Great video!  Thanks for sharing.  Bidens alba is a great butterfly nectaring plant.  We keep plenty growing in our SW Florida yard!

4. Artful Dodger on October 24, 2020 at 7:08 am

I also heard that the seeds ground up are an anesthetic.

5. Sunny Savage on October 24, 2020 at 7:08 am

great video!!!

6. Donald Oprea on October 24, 2020 at 7:16 am

Was never really sure about Bidens pilosa until i saw this video.
    Thank you!

7. Michael Hoy on October 24, 2020 at 7:26 am

I harvested the seeds for these, I got a couple hundred in like 30 seconds just walking around my house. Took them and grew microgreens, which have a nutty flavor like sunflower microgreens. After just eating a few raw, I feel it is much easier to breathe. I have limited to only a few as I am uncertain of silica or saponin content and toxicity.

8. Cassandra Cusack Curbelo on October 24, 2020 at 7:32 am

Wonderful info. Thank you! I learned from Bob Linde that it’s also great for persistent, residual cough.

9. Dorrette Blair on October 24, 2020 at 7:32 am

I made tea from the Spanish needle and also eat the leaves raw taste good. I had the flu in November of 2019 and that’s what have gotten me better.

10. Edvaney Barron on October 24, 2020 at 7:37 am

C

11. Brigid B,A,C on October 24, 2020 at 7:37 am

Purchased seeds online but it did not grow in the pot…Any idea how to grow this plant from seeds? Thanks.

12. Amy Swidow on October 24, 2020 at 7:38 am

Such great info girl, thank you! Finally am pronouncing the name correctly haha. I just ordered some Bidens Pilosa seeds from Florida and plan to plant and use the leaves for medicine:) Do you know how long it takes for the plant to become full grown?

13. Dominic Auten on October 24, 2020 at 7:46 am

Thanks for the video. I have a bunch of this dried out and sitting in a mason jar. Do you know how approximately how many grams one should add per litre of water?

14. Ashley Carter on October 24, 2020 at 7:46 am

I keep feeling these would be great for allergies and upper respiratory infections, is there any evidence behind that? I’m going to begin my own studies this year

15. Michele Ballantyne on October 24, 2020 at 7:46 am

I love these little videos you have started making!

16. nope on October 24, 2020 at 7:49 am

awesome! thanks for sharing! also supposed to work to treat Malaria so probably also helps treat Babesia from ticks being as most antimalarials do

17. imasurvivornthriver on October 24, 2020 at 7:49 am

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

18. J. Josue on October 24, 2020 at 7:50 am

very informative.

19. Brenda Heyward on October 24, 2020 at 7:53 am

Wow, cool. I kind of have let my garden beds in the back and side go this year due to construction and this ‘weed" has taken over. I knew that it was good for the bees so just let it bee (LOL). May just have to incorporate it as just part of the normal plant bed now! thanxs for the informative video.

20. Shidifen Hamengde on October 24, 2020 at 7:53 am

The seeds are edible and quite tasty, much more so than the leaves! You
    just need to sprout them. It only takes a few days. Try to make sure the
    seeds don’t ball up in a big mass because of the little prongs on the
    end interlocking with other prongs. The fiddly bit is removing the seed
    case after sprouting, which isn’t edible. I eat them on fresh bread.
    Delicious!

21. Joanne Hii on October 24, 2020 at 7:55 am

Great and highly informative video! Hi Emily, we are herbs cultivator and this year we have produce Spanish Needle as in tea form. Is there any way we can feature this video in our website?