Should You Become A Naturopathic Doctor? 3 THINGS TO CONSIDER FIRST!

In this video, I talk about THREE (3) THINGS that you need to consider before you make the final decision to pursue a career in naturopathic medicine. This video is for anyone on the fence about becoming a naturopathic doctor – I hope it helps you out!

If you’ve decided to take the leap and pursue a career in naturopathic medicine, then make sure to check out the guide I wrote on how to become a naturopathic doctor!
➡️ https://drmarilynmerola.thinkific.com/courses/how-to-become-a-naturopathic-doctor
I talk about everything from how to prepare for an interview all the way to life after graduation.

05:47 – other careers in integrative medicine.

The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM): https://www.ifm.org/
Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine (AIHM): https://aihm.org/
*The IFM offers a certificate program and the AIHM offers a fellowship. ELIGIBILITY for both includes at least a Master’s level degree (unless you are an RN then you need at least a Bachelor’s level degree).

F A C E B O O K | I N S T A G R A M | T I K T O K
👉🏻@drmarilynmerola

Make sure to join the mailing list to stay up to date with me! I’ll be sending updates on services and special promotions, skin health tips, DIY beauty recipes, and more.
➡️ https://www.lucerenaturalmedicine.com/email-newsletter

BTW 🚫 I want this channel to be a supportive community for everyone interested in naturopathic medicine. All NEGATIVE comments will be reported and deleted, and YOU WILL BE BLOCKED.

1. monica mendoza on August 19, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Hello! Thank you for this video.

About two years ago I was in my junior year of high school when I was contemplating on my career path. I have always been intrigued by medicine but have my opinions about Big Pharma. I then began my research of functional medicine and came across Naturopathic Medicine and your channel. I remember I DM’d you (maybe you don’t recall since it was about two years ago lol) and asked if you recommend any undergrad degree, and mentioned that it did not really matter, only to complete pre-reqs. In your video you mentioned one thing you would change from your journey would be your undergrad degree, and I would like to know more about your thoughts and why!
    I am now a freshman in college and am majoring in Biomedical Science. I am still in the fence about either pursuing medical or naturopathic school based on how society criticizes holistic medicine. However, I strongly believe in naturopathic medicine and would love to practice it some way or the other. Either by attending ND school and becoming an ND or attending MD but completing some licenses, like mentioned in your video!
    I really hope naturopathic medicine is more well accepted in our society in the next couple of years.
    I would also like to ask. if there is anything you would recommend for me to do/complete during my undergrad years, such as volunteering, research or internships involving holistic medicine.
    Sorry for the long comment lol, I am just a really curious freshman that is interested in naturopathic medicine but is a little lost.
    Again, Thank you!

2. Far Mur on August 19, 2020 at 10:36 pm

I would love to become a naturopathic doctor! <3 Thank you for making this video!

3. Marissa Almaguer on August 19, 2020 at 10:36 pm

I could definitely relate before I started to apply to ND school, there was a lot of negative articles and people in general not having enough knowledge about ND’s, but still decided to put in their two cents about ND’s, which is totally wrong. I knew this was the career that aligned with my beliefs, so I had to stay strong with my purpose. Sending positive vibes your way! <3

4. Yian Saechao on August 19, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Finally your back!!! Glad to see u back!

5. Sheamber on August 19, 2020 at 10:39 pm

I am a senior in my ungergrad right now and ran across this video I am subscribing to you now…. please check my channel out as well!.. I will soon be talking about what you are in this video once I hit ND school!

6. Anthony Alvarez on August 19, 2020 at 10:43 pm

I’ve been on the fence for deciding to go to ND school because of the negativity behind this type of medicine. But I love natural products and what they stand for so I decided this year to work towards getting into an ND school and lucky for me there is one in Arizona so it works out perfectly! If all goes well, I’ll be in an ND medical school next year! Thank you for your content, you make me feel a little more at ease with this decision and I’m glad it wasn’t only me feeling doubt about potential choosing this route ☺️ though they may get backlash, I know that this is the field for me because we will have to fight together and grow together to get it legal to fight in all 50 states ☺️ thanks again you’re amazing!

7. Marissa Almaguer on August 19, 2020 at 10:46 pm

always love watching your videos!

8. Titilope Ayobami on August 19, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for the Information. May I please ask about the career options in Naturopathic medicine? I would love to work for a while and then have my own clinic but I really don’t know how the career options work under this type of medicine.

9. Seema Shah on August 19, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Hey I am doing am bachelor in naturopathy from India and if I want to come to USA for further degree ..what really should I do ?

10. Abigail Rutila on August 19, 2020 at 10:47 pm

What states are licensed?

11. Christian 8d Audios on August 19, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Can naturopathic doctors specialize in immunology? If not what’s the closet specialty to this for a naturopath?

12. Kianna Kilborn on August 19, 2020 at 10:56 pm

so grateful for you and your channel! your videos have helped me grasp a better understanding about this career choice.

13. Jessie L on August 19, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Why do you regret the undergrad degree you chose?

14. Annie Henry on August 19, 2020 at 11:04 pm

Thank you Marylin for all your amazing videos! I have chronic Lyme disease and am treated by an amazing ND, ever since I’ve been contemplating a career in naturopathic/integrative medicine. Of course a lot of the themes that you talk about in this video, so it is very great to hear your take on it all! thanks for sharing 🙂
    Side note—I would love to hear your thoughts on unconventional med students (as I have a BS in business/econ) and what considerations/challenges ND students face when they don’t have a medical background. Thanks!

15. Divine Earth Goddess on August 19, 2020 at 11:04 pm

I needed this so much! Thank YOU!

16. Happy Hour Fitness on August 19, 2020 at 11:05 pm

What was your undergrad ??

17. Sienna Miller on August 19, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Great video! 🙂 Totally agree with all of those points!

18. Empress Auset on August 19, 2020 at 11:08 pm

Thank you, I have come across the negative articles and comments on the internet. It’s nice to know that MD’s and DO’s don’t see ND’s through the same negative lenses. I start Bastyr University Washington in the fall and I’m soooo excited.

19. dancinkayley on August 19, 2020 at 11:10 pm

You said that the only thing you’d change if you went back was your undergrad degree- what would you have done instead?

20. Ariel on August 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm

I really want to go into holistic healthcare but the schooling takes forever and I’m very impatient

21. Janee on August 19, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Love this video!

22. Marissa Almaguer on August 19, 2020 at 11:21 pm

What degree would you have chose if you could go back?

23. Sunjoo Choi on August 19, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Great video!!! I’d appreciate your honest opinion. I’d love to recommend NDs to some of my pts over MDs due to gut health and so many drugs- interaction concerns as we get older. I myself don’t like to take any medication that develops unwanted side effects. I’m NOW taking only meds that you recommended so that boost my immune system and increase my daily energy. GO NDs!

24. katiesmashes on August 19, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Yay! You’re back! But why take off the like button? 🙁

25. Psyched X on August 19, 2020 at 11:24 pm

Haven’t finished the video yet but you look stunning !

26. Psyched X on August 19, 2020 at 11:25 pm

I’ll be honest the first impressions of ND I had were from those negative things on the internet. So I went out of my way to find a first person perspective of the profession. I found you that way. Through your videos and social media I understand now that it’s not only not “quackery” but it’s actually SO IMPORTANT in the field of medicine. I’ve recommended seeing NDs to friends and family. Just thought I’d share maybe it would make you smile!