The Truth About Allergies and Food Sensitivity Tests

Many of my patients come to see me as a result of their allergy symptoms. But at times, they also confuse intolerances with allergies. I decided to sit down with a leading pediatric allergist Dr. Dave Stukus and chat all things allergy. Oh and I thought I’d state it clearly right here: Food sensitivities tests don’t work and are a full-on SCAM! Always consult your doctor before testing yourself or your family members for allergies!

How To Be An Allergist: 0:22

Dr. Dave Stukus Contact info:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AllergyKidsDoc?s=20

Address:
700 Children’s Dr
Columbus, OH 43205
(614) 722-4404

If you have an idea of something you want me to cover in-depth, please let me know because I take your requests seriously. We will be back with more Medical Drama Review/Responding to comments Series in a couple of weeks, so please submit more names of shows/questions you’d like for me to watch/answer. I love you all! – Doctor Mike Varshavski

Please SUBSCRIBE for new videos every Sunday 11am EST & Wednesday 5p ▶ https://goo.gl/87kYq6

Let’s connect:
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/doctormike
IG https://goo.gl/41ZS7w – Doctor Mike
Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/DoctorMike
Twitter https://goo.gl/kzmGs5 – Real Doctor Mike
Facebook https://goo.gl/QH4nJS – Real Doctor Mike
Contact Email: DoctorMikeMedia@Gmail.com

P.O. Box (send me stuffs):
340 W 42nd St # 2695
NY, NY 10108

** The information in this video is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained in this video is for general information purposes only and does not replace a consultation with your own doctor/health professional **

1. Meghan Delvicario on October 14, 2021 at 10:41 am

I’m pretty sure this dr would also be shocked at the amount of things I’m allergic to and that I have been allergic to since I was an infant. So far for food I am allergic to dairy products, eggs, peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, and gluten. It is what it is I suppose. Though remember you can always develop a food allergy later in life so I always think, enjoy the food you can eat while you can!

2. Annie-Saray Moreno Moreno on October 14, 2021 at 10:41 am

My son could only drink lactaid 1% it’s been pretty good on him and I have tasted too so it’s good for both of us but especially for him he used to vomit when younger

3. Li Rose's Purposeful Love on October 14, 2021 at 10:41 am

I needed to hear this. I was told that I was "allergic" to certain foods, but its intolerances, main one being chicken and bananas.

4. Non J on October 14, 2021 at 10:43 am

Is it common for people to develop more allergies as they age? I’ve heard of children growing out of their allergies, but I’ve done the opposite. I could eat peanut as a child and now get an anaphylactic reaction, is that normal?

5. Shirin Heidari on October 14, 2021 at 10:43 am

You mentioned no test can tell the severity of the allergy. I did a blood test and I was told I have dust mite allergy level 3. What’s that level 3 then? 😀

6. Fiona Robertson-Clark on October 14, 2021 at 10:44 am

I know that an intolerance is different from an allergy. But in restaurants or at conferences as someone who is intolerant I need to say I am allergic or they serve me food with the foods I am intolerant to. So I would argue there is an education of the service industry is needed.

I have done the sensitivity test and the naturopath I worked with told me to focus on the top 5 that showed the most reactivity. I knew ahead I reacted to dairy and wheat so seeing those in the top 5 was not surprising. The other 3 foods were things I don’t consume so I don’t know how I react to those things. The test had a green or safe food list, mild reactivity list and the high reactivity.

7. Jätten on October 14, 2021 at 10:44 am

Not sure if an intolerant or allergic, but tomatoes cause angioedema with me. Within 24hrs, my feet, ankles, lips and uvula swell. I’ve had to go to A&E on multiple occasions.
    No tomatoes and I’m fine, only occurs if I eat tomatoes. Had this for 8 years, and no change.

8. Shannon M. on October 14, 2021 at 10:46 am

So, basically, unless you nearly die from eating something, the doctor can’t tell you if you have a true allergy. O…K.

9. Okeh Emmanuel Boraxe on October 14, 2021 at 10:47 am

interesting discussion…

10. Katrina Rosetta on October 14, 2021 at 10:47 am

Gluten free just means it has lots of xanthan gum it it which has a bad effect on my IBS…. It makes my intestine swelling…
    So I guess am allergic to gluten free food ….

11. The Ropes of Renovation on October 14, 2021 at 10:48 am

Cipro—– extreme joint pain. Can’t walk!

12. Ambivalent Disaster on October 14, 2021 at 10:53 am

My young son is allergic to milk, wheat, and eggs. It is so hard finding foods he likes to eat. I hope he will grow out of his allergies. My daughter was allergic to dairy and wheat when young but isn’t any longer. She still has asthma but my older son no longer does. It’s interesting how that happens.

13. Showbik Showmma on October 14, 2021 at 10:55 am

How can I say what’s the difference between an allergist and a dermatologist?

14. Maiy Shawkat on October 14, 2021 at 10:55 am

*please I need Answers :'( *
    I’ve been searching for food allergies since forever and no one gives me such a clear explanation like this before!
    I had an Urticaria it was sever to the point that I had to put my legs and arms in the ice to relive it ..
    and then i went to a doctor who
    diagnosed me with food allergy back in 2014 and he told me that it is a " cumulative type of food allergy " means it reach a thersold to make a symptoms .. I had the skin prick test and it came positive with more than 50 things , my doctor told me to avoid all these things for 15 days and then come back I wasn’t completely convinced with his treatment and I refused to listen to him but then I did and it worked the allergy disappeared and then I start to eat everything normally ,but then After 4 years I had the same symptoms and got the same test and it came positive with 38 things and I followed the same treatment and it worked and then after 3 years I have the same symptoms ..so is this common ? ..
    what should I do?

15. TheBeeWaa ! on October 14, 2021 at 10:58 am

A++++ So much knowledge going into my brain right now and it’s everything I needed to hear. Thank you!!

16. Heather Green on October 14, 2021 at 10:58 am

I became pretty sick about 3 years ago. I developed abnormal acute sense of smell and certain smells like smoke and perfumes were causing bronchial spasms and inflammation in my lungs, as well as severe rhinitis. All my allergy blood tests were negative, but a scratch test showed 21 things I am allergic to. I took the same scratch test years earlier and had no allergies. Anyhow, I started taking allergy medicine, but the only thing that helps is claritin D, nothing else helps. Claritin D works pretty well most of the time though. I have gotten much better, but only if I take the allergy meds. Do I really have allergies or could it be something else. The main symptoms I have is congestion, sore and itchy throat, cough- and sometimes the inside of my nose hurts so badly, it feels like I sniffed crushed glass. Lots of gunk in my throat too. I’ve been skeptical, because all the blood tests are negative and I have had more than 6 of them, and I have sensitive skin in general. So, I thought maybe the test was not accurate. Also, the inflammation in my nose became so severe that the tissue thickened and I had a psomnoplasty surgery (not sure how to spell it), they burn your mucosa tissue open, so you can breathe.

17. Aubry Ilkanic on October 14, 2021 at 11:00 am

I am lit allergic to cats and dogs, molds, dust, and like everything outside

18. rufia75 on October 14, 2021 at 11:02 am

Mike, I’m mid-thirties and never been stung by a wasp or a bee. Should I/can I get tested for this just to see if I should be getting an epipen for the small chance I’m anaphylactic allergic? Or is it impossible to test for that?

19. magicmike5186 on October 14, 2021 at 11:02 am

NCGS aka im a hipster non binary so i wont eat gluten coz i wanna look hip on soc media while playing video games on twitch on easy mode
    Pronouns: they them it

20. Tina Coyle on October 14, 2021 at 11:03 am

All that is well and good but there is a huge group of people really suffering and not getting any help while doctors scoff at the alternative tests we are resorting to. ALL tests at some point were alternative and those that are used by allergists are not super accurate either. For those of us without immediate IGg type allergies, but experience real and quantifiable suffering a few hours to a day or so after eating certain foods there is not any real help out there right now. Yes, it is a digestive issue and not a true allergy. I get that. Please pedantically explain that to me some more while I puke during a blinding migraine and struggle to breathe.

21. Yvonne Jensen on October 14, 2021 at 11:06 am

Misleading and bad advice. Take allergy tests in addition to full work ups.

22. Jaden Lee on October 14, 2021 at 11:06 am

Jesus loves you

23. Danny Smith on October 14, 2021 at 11:07 am

Can you lose an allergy? I was prescribed an epi-pen for a seafood allergy when I was a kid because when I’d eat tuna or shrimp my throat would close up and it’d be hard to breathe. Or maybe specifically shellfish… Anyway, over time my body stopped reacting negatively to shrimp, tuna, lobster, etc, and now thoroughly enjoy all kind of seafood especially shrimp. Part of me thinks it was more psychological because I wasn’t a fan of the smell (or even initially the taste).

24. heynowmal on October 14, 2021 at 11:08 am

Glad I watched this video because I was seriously considered ordering one of these tests. I’m going to call my doctor instead.

25. Alex Burba on October 14, 2021 at 11:09 am

Thank you for explaining that allergy tests don’t test for the severity of allergies, just the likelihood of an allergy. My doctor misinformed me. Important information to know!

26. stoneybridger on October 14, 2021 at 11:10 am

Food intolerance is what attention seeking american women get.

27. David Bagus on October 14, 2021 at 11:11 am

So red liver and fresh and good blood plasma and pressure

28. Kim Taehyung on October 14, 2021 at 11:14 am

I used to get an allergy whenever I got bitten by those big ants (they hurt rlly bad) and I would get hives on my skin and I would need an injection but after having a good diet it suddenly stopped

29. Sarah Croud on October 14, 2021 at 11:14 am

I’m glad you pointed out the tests are not accurate or tell the how allergic someone is. My son has a lot of allergies. His pediatrician had him get a blood test that said he was severely allergic to cats, beef, pork and a few other things. I said he doesn’t seem to be allergic to cats, eats beef and pork just fine. His doctor said he wouldn’t refer my son to an allergist if I didn’t get rid of our cat because that was the "source" of all his allergies. And refused to write a food allergy plan that didn’t restrict beef, pork and a bunch of things he ate regularly. Now my son does have many food allergies but we don’t remove a food unless we confirm it completely as he has a very limited diet. My son also has autism and suddenly changing his diet can make him refuse to eat and he is ftt so no we won’t take food away that a single test says he may be allergic.

30. thebigfatnick on October 14, 2021 at 11:15 am

Doctors trying to get their customers back from trying to cure themselfs. Doctors pretending to not just sell you drugs that make you sick while only numbing the symptoms of your condition but they say it makes you better.

31. PieTheMagpie on October 14, 2021 at 11:19 am

Does exposure to your allergy help with it?

32. Okeh Emmanuel Boraxe on October 14, 2021 at 11:21 am

sensitivity, Intolerance and allergy….really loved how he explained those nuances

33. Lana Jig-maker on October 14, 2021 at 11:23 am

how long does an epi pen stay …fresh? unspoiled? …effective? you know what I mean, smh

34. traida111 on October 14, 2021 at 11:24 am

Maybe they dont like people going to alternative sources instead of doctors. interesting counter argument though, but i feel there are 2 sides of a coin

35. Keenan Davidson on October 14, 2021 at 11:24 am

What do you say to all the people who have found relief from "irritable bowel syndrome" (which is just the description of a symptom touted as a diagnosis) by elimination diets?

36. Donna Silvio on October 14, 2021 at 11:26 am

You failed to mention how Epi Pens are very expensive bc most insurances refuse to cover them. I know so many ppl who should have them but just do not have the $200 or so.

37. Esther Arsenenko on October 14, 2021 at 11:27 am

Thank you, I always wanted to do that food sensitivity test, you just saved me like $200.

38. Kim Taehyung on October 14, 2021 at 11:28 am

Can u have allergy from sudden temperature changes like whenever I would go out from the air on into the sun I would have continuous sneezing

39. Eliza Martinez on October 14, 2021 at 11:30 am

My friend actually has a nut allergy that is so severe, just inhaling it causes hives. If she touched them, she’ll go into anaphylactic shock let alone eating them. Because schools obviously can’t ban nuts, she had to have her own lunch table and anyone could join her but you couldn’t bring nuts to it

40. deepusprinkles on October 14, 2021 at 11:31 am

Could you please talk about allergic rhinitis sinusitis? I have been suffering for 5 years… It is now frustrating…

41. Stephanie Poehling on October 14, 2021 at 11:31 am

I have oral allergy and I can’t stand it when people tell me what to eat

42. N1N069 on October 14, 2021 at 11:31 am

All these tests do is give your DNA to databases that then sell it to health insurance or other companies to use. DO NOT EVER GIVE YOUR DNA TO ANYONE BUT YOUR DOCTOR!

43. Evelyn Droz on October 14, 2021 at 11:40 am

I’m allergic to tomatoes. I’m intolerant to certain foods because of my acid reflux. I am also lactose intolerant.

44. Light Bulb on October 14, 2021 at 11:40 am

Should also add that if you go into anaphylactic shock and use your epi-pen, you still need to go to the hospital afterwards because you can have a secondary reaction that could be worse than the first. For really severe reactions, an epi-pen might just buy you enough time to seek medical attention.