What are Essential Oils? | Chemical Composition | Episode 1

Hi Science Babes! Today’s video is episode 1 of a series I am doing on essential oils. Today’s episode I cover the building blocks that make up the chemical compounds present in essential oils. Did you know each essential oil contains anywhere between 20-200 chemical compounds? Watch this episode to learn more about the classes of chemical compounds and some examples.

References:
Essential Oil Safety Second Edition 2014 Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young

Connect with me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kennawhitnell/

1. Rafael Alarcon on March 22, 2021 at 11:59 pm

As a chemistry major, this was very interesting to watch! But I doubt people who don’t have a chemistry background would have had an easy time keeping up! I know I had to rewind a few times!!

2. Lilli Mango on March 23, 2021 at 12:00 am

love the series already

3. Cynthia Cole on March 23, 2021 at 12:00 am

i love diffusing essential oil blends in my house as a alternate to burning candles. i always worry about my animals though and how it effects them. they’ve never acted different and never have noticed any symptoms but think a video on essential oil safety around pets would be welcomed 🙂

4. GiNgErSnAp 0607 on March 23, 2021 at 12:00 am

Play button!!!

5. Genesis Ansbro on March 23, 2021 at 12:00 am

Got so excited when I saw this haha new upload!

6. elle on March 23, 2021 at 12:01 am

my ochem midterm is this friday so technically watching this isnt procrastinating right??

7. Pinakin Rathod on March 23, 2021 at 12:02 am

Wow!! You jogged my memory back to college days….Organic chemistry classes….gr8

8. SE T on March 23, 2021 at 12:02 am

The fastest YouTube Button recipient ever!

9. Tiffany C. on March 23, 2021 at 12:03 am

I love the content of this video and would love to help add captions to reach a larger audience. Would you be amenable to community-contributed captions?

10. Kerri on March 23, 2021 at 12:03 am

Korean skincare video? Their face masks and moisturizers are always the best, what ingredients do they use that other brands don’t?

11. Nature's Oils Weight Loss on March 23, 2021 at 12:05 am

great video

12. Jessica Keen on March 23, 2021 at 12:06 am

Your videos are so informational!! Thank you for sharing your brain

13. Morgan Pelosi on March 23, 2021 at 12:08 am

Soooo I’m wondering if you’ve ever thought of teaching !?

14. Nature's Oils Weight Loss on March 23, 2021 at 12:09 am

will you marry me

15. Sinda on March 23, 2021 at 12:11 am

When I studied these things in hs, it wasn’t this interesting lol

16. capgains on March 23, 2021 at 12:13 am

Can you go into detail when you say toxins, neurotoxins? They’ve always sounded worse than they may be

17. camcat26 on March 23, 2021 at 12:14 am

How the heck did I pass two semesters of orgo? I only recognized half the science words

18. Becky C. on March 23, 2021 at 12:15 am

Thanks for giving us a background for essential oils. They certainly are complex!

19. Caratess Ichareel on March 23, 2021 at 12:25 am

I can’t wait for the next part!

20. leta brandeberry on March 23, 2021 at 12:25 am

Would love to know the best essential oils on the market based on their chemistry. Like the difference in compounds between say a cheap essential oil to a supposedly very good essential oil like young living oils

21. Brie Sullivan on March 23, 2021 at 12:26 am

Can you do a thorough and comprehensive review of the Earth to skin lines?

22. Scott O'Connor on March 23, 2021 at 12:26 am

I’m in ochem currently so I absolutely loved this video! Thank you for all of the information!

23. Najmah T. A. on March 23, 2021 at 12:31 am

me learning pharmacognosy and phytochemistry found this really helpful, I legit forgot everything i learned last semester LOL thanks kenna for helping me remember!

24. Jasmine on March 23, 2021 at 12:36 am

Noce

25. Agostinho Santos on March 23, 2021 at 12:37 am

do you have access to lab equipment like mass spectrometer, this is a great video

26. martinlilik on March 23, 2021 at 12:38 am

Beautiful

27. Sharon Baker on March 23, 2021 at 12:38 am

I remember some of this from chemistry, and it was nice to hear about these amazing compounds again. Whenever I think of these, I end up thinking about the plant before it’s harvested. I’m sure once that happens, more reactions start cascading, because it’s going to start breaking down. Then I start to think about our environment, and what the weather was like on harvest day, and would it be possible to ever get oxygen off hydrogen out of the way?

28. kareem saqif on March 23, 2021 at 12:44 am

I m from Sri lanka…
    I like to do essential oil in Sri Lanka…can do nutmeg cinnamon cinnamon leaf cloves white n black pepper.r their any demand for these oil. V can cultivate lemon grass geranium vattyvar also pls help me
    What’s up +94 777 873175

29. Hannah García on March 23, 2021 at 12:47 am

So what nomenclature system would these fall under? These dont seem to fall under the iupac rules for naming so I’m just curious thanks!

30. Ian Crawford on March 23, 2021 at 12:47 am

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons vs aromatic rings in essential oils… Are they the same thing? I’ve heard synthetic fragrances can be carcinogenic but what about natural fragrance?

31. Ian Crawford on March 23, 2021 at 12:47 am

Curious if essential oils could strengthen UV filters. Or any synergistic effects that they have with other skincare ingredients or if turpenes interact with each other (as I’ve heard is the case with marijuana). Cool vid!

32. b s on March 23, 2021 at 12:48 am

Can you review Michelle phans skin care routine. (On Harper bazzar)

33. robert olson on March 23, 2021 at 12:49 am

What are essential oils? If i had to sum it up in just a few simple words, I would call them plant derived solvents.

34. I'll be your Stumbleine on March 23, 2021 at 12:51 am

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Shaylee Woodley? I think that’s her name. The girl from the Fault in our Stars. I think you look a lot like her.

35. Alison Dietrich on March 23, 2021 at 12:51 am

Thank you for making the chemistry of essential oils digestible! Also so cool to see somebody discussing essential oils on YouTube from a scientific approach. Most of the videos I’ve seen on YouTube are from MLM marketers or people who try to "debunk" essential oils and their therapeutic benefits, most likely due to the MLM marketers.

36. Rachel MarLett on March 23, 2021 at 12:51 am

Remembering how I changed my whole major when I took an ochem class…. lol but I love this I love Kenna making this relatable and accessible!!

37. Manda jupp on March 23, 2021 at 12:53 am

would love to know about double cleansing and witch oils are best to use or if your only supposed to use oil cleanser?? am confused

38. Romafou Bates on March 23, 2021 at 12:55 am

Hi there Ms. Kenna. How do you think these EOCs interact with microbial? for instance, how does Carvacrol (≥ 98%), citral (≥ 96%) and (+)-limonene oxide inhibit by log reduction the presence of E. coli? thanks in advance.

39. Mark H on March 23, 2021 at 12:56 am

taking organic chemistry so it’s a great video to recall 🙂

40. estelle s on March 23, 2021 at 12:57 am

Loved this video! I used to be a medical student and I wish I had a teacher like you… :)) Keep up the good work! And thank you so much for the amazing content!